LegacyGT.com

That new vibration...01 GT Wagon 5MT

'01 GT Wagon 5MT 250K:  I picked up a vibration.  Symptoms:

1) stick vibrates at slow speed when accelerating from stand-still (maybe at engine speed frequency?), low growling sound.

2) same vibration occurs when coasting neutral at highway speed (motor running fine at 1000rpm).  

3) rare chirp-chirp at slow speed acceleration

4) Tires new and carefully balanced.

It's not horrible, just new and concerning, and when you daily a car for 23 years you know when somethings off. I changed the rear drive shaft 60-80K ago (bearings shot). Is it Axles? Drive shaft? Differential? Transmission (rebuilt 80-100K ago)? Ideas?

TIA!!  

Edited by rjnakata

• rjnakata changed the title to That new vibration...01 GT Wagon 5MT

Changed the transmission mount.  Took about an hour (at my pace...slow). Waaay better now. Local indy shop wanted $1300...not sure why.  Maybe a misquote?

Now I'm wondering about the engine mounts.  I couldn't find a good vid of it and it looks as if one screw is "buried"?  

I read the motor mounts last, but at 250K (and oil soaking) I'm wondering.   Any advice appreciated!!

Which transmission mount did you replace?  the one under the back of the transmission or the one up top at the front of the transmission?  I'd recommend replacing both of them along with both engine mounts especially at your mileage.

Engine mounts are kind of a PITA to do in the car but if you unbolt the radiator brackets, the pitch stop, and the lower motor mount nuts then lift the drivetrain til it wont go up any more from the front diff, it's not so bad.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply @silverton.  I replaced the U shaped mount under the transmission.  I don't see reference to another up top.  Are you referring to the dog-bone (pitch stop?) under the intake on top?

RE engine mounts: is the goal getting the motor raised enough to access the second bolt that is currently not visible from below?  It kind of looks like an oily forest around there...