LegacyGT.com

2nd, 4th, and reverse gear issues?

Emjayex

Ok, some context...

1998 Legacy OBW, 5 speed manual, 163k miles. 

So heres my problem. Its an intermittent one, but a strange and possibly dangerous problem nonetheless. This has happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 2 or so months. 2nd, 4th and reverse gear seems to get really tough to get into. 1st, 3rd, and 5th are all perfectly fine. When it gets stiff, it almost feels like a misplaced shifter bushing is in the way of 2nd, 4th and reverse gear positions. Its popped out of 2nd on me a couple times trying to get into gear. 

Again, its weird because it doesnt happen all the time, and seemed to start happening once it started getting cold. Its happened to me while turning onto a busy street most cars going 50-60 mph and it got sketchy. 

Side note: my shifter does need bushings replaced as it rattles like CRAZY. I was thinking of just going for a short shifter in the near future. 

Any thoughts? Tips? Will a short shifter fix the issue? Would trans fluid be the culprit? Might the whole trans be ready to fly out the window???

Edit: fixed some typos

Edited by Emjayex
Fixed typos

Doubt fluid is the problem. cant speak on the tech of the trans yet tho. Think we have helical gears, all I got lmao.

Get a kartboy shortshifter.  My stock one had lots of N play & overall play.  Is less now with shortshifter. I land in gear with much less movement  & quicker.  I did NOT replace any linkage bushings or anything else.   my plastic pivot/ball cup broke tho on install & may be making it a bit harder to shift around occasionally. like def going down to 1st is a lil tighter i feel, maybe even almost every pull but it also lost 2in of leverage.   I'd recommend Kboy sshifter & an oem or if he has em'-- a new ball cup pivot thing.   plus u can get linkage bushings & such from there.  Other's said they like a OEM /non stiff feel tho, obvi anything is better than worn tho.       

My 4th has dropped out a few times since i've bought my vehicle too.   sucks-  worst one was few days ago on bumpy rd- was in it for 20 secs- scariest part.   I now am working on the habit of applying pressure after the shift to make sure it's good, then let go.   but actually i think it's mostly from the bumps & acell.. cuz my shifter moves a fair bit(enough to possibly slip out if weak engagement already). Worn bushings everywhere on this thing.  Just picked up the front two control arms to put in this weekend.

Good luck, 

Mick

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Emjayex said:

Side note: my shifter does need bushings replaced as it rattles like CRAZY. I was thinking of just going for a short shifter in the near future. 

This buddy.  1000% this. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

Just now, Emjayex said:

Lol well I guess it makes sense. Ill try it out then and see how it goes 🙏

So replacing bushings, short shifter upgrade should fix all those issues then?

15 hours ago, 05gtripper said:

Doubt fluid is the problem. cant speak on the tech of the trans yet tho. Think we have helical gears, all I got lmao.

Get a kartboy shortshifter.  My stock one had lots of N play & overall play.  Is less now with shortshifter. I land in gear with much less movement  & quicker.  I did NOT replace any linkage bushings or anything else.   my plastic pivot/ball cup broke tho on install & may be making it a bit harder to shift around occasionally. like def going down to 1st is a lil tighter i feel, maybe even almost every pull but it also lost 2in of leverage.   I'd recommend Kboy sshifter & an oem or if he has em'-- a new ball cup pivot thing.   plus u can get linkage bushings & such from there.  Other's said they like a OEM /non stiff feel tho, obvi anything is better than worn tho.       

My 4th has dropped out a few times since i've bought my vehicle too.   sucks-  worst one was few days ago on bumpy rd- was in it for 20 secs- scariest part.   I now am working on the habit of applying pressure after the shift to make sure it's good, then let go.   but actually i think it's mostly from the bumps & acell.. cuz my shifter moves a fair bit(enough to possibly slip out if weak engagement already). Worn bushings everywhere on this thing.  Just picked up the front two control arms to put in this weekend.

Good luck, 

Mick

Theres a replica Cobb short shifter on Amazon for less than 40 bucks so I think I will try it out and see how it goes