LegacyGT.com

Sleeve Throw Out bearing failure?

About 2 weeks ago I started hearing some noise when I would press the clutch while at a stand still.  When I started rolling, it would go away.  It goes away when the clutch is released.

Theres a sticker on the strut tower saying the car has had the PDM TSK1 sleeve and TOB retrofit.  But I have no idea when it was done.

Im worried the sleeve may have come loose and is now spinning with the TOB or the TOB has just simply began to fail.  Ive owner this generation of chassis several times over the last decade and I’ve never heard a noise like this. It has a metallic squeak to it, too.

I think I have to buy a clutch kit as well as another sleeve/TOB kit incase everything is mangled in there.  

Has anyone had a similar noise or issue with the sleeved snout?  I’ll try to post a video later today of the sound.

It’s a 1998 legacy L with a 2.2.

Thank you

Edited by KennyMcRae

Probably just a seized TOB, but no good way to be sure without taking it apart.

If you had an endoscope type camera there is a small chance you could see something through the clutch arm hole or the mirror side inspection hole, but there is also the chance that you would get the tip of the camera into the moving parts and wreck it.

If it's the bearing, the finger springs on the clutch will be ruined and you'll need the clutch as well as the TOB.

Edited by doublechaz

1 hour ago, doublechaz said:

Probably just a seized TOB, but no good way to be sure without taking it apart.

If you had an endoscope type camera there is a small chance you could see something through the clutch arm hole or the mirror side inspection hole, but there is also the chance that you would get the tip of the camera into the moving parts and wreck it.

If it's the bearing, the finger springs on the clutch will be ruined and you'll need the clutch as well as the TOB.

Ya, I think you’re right. It’s just odd because normally a bad TOB would make noise when the clutch pedal is released as well as being more a loud rolling noise with maybe some grinding.

This is one of two cars, so I’m going to pull it apart and see what’s actually busted before ordering a ton of parts.  I’m worried that sleeve is spinning and has gaulled up the Alum case snout.

Im expecting to have to do a clutch kit and sleeve/tob kit.  But I also have a driveline vibration under acceleration, which I suspect is a bad U joint.  Good time to inspect and replace that.

• Like 1