LegacyGT.com

Any special steps for non hub centric wheel mounting?

59ctd

Are there any special steps/rules for non Subaru non hub-centric wheel mounting?  I recently bought a decent set of Michelin X-Ice on CE Sport Edition alloys that will go on my 06 Outback.  I've only used hub-centric subaru wheels prior so I am unsure what might be different with these.  He did give me the proper plastic centering rings for these wheels and my year subie.  He had these on his 2014 Forester and 05 Impreza so they are 5x100.  I am thinking the nut torque might be something to pay more attention to on these vs the stock wheels my son and I generally just use a 24" breaker bar and get them good and tight once the vehicle is back on the ground.  What might be different on the non hub-centric wheels?

19 hours ago, 59ctd said:

my son and I generally just use a 24" breaker bar and get them good and tight once the vehicle is back on the ground.

This pains my soul to the very core.  Did you know that your brake rotors can warp from unequal torque on the lug nuts? At the very least go buy a clicker torque wrench from harbor freight 🤦‍♂️ the wheels are mounted to 120nm or about 89ft/lbs.  Just for some maths.  150lbs on the end of a 2 foot breaker bar can apply 300 ft-lbs of torque

Nothing special if you have the hub rings with the wheels, they'll mount up just like OE.  My set of hub rings like to pop out or stay attached to the hub when removing them so you do have to pay extra attention there.  You absolutely do not want to double up those rings.

Edited by silverton