LegacyGT.com

Which AM head unit?

SkiDaddy

Hey guys, I'm weighing my options for my new LGT. If I go w/an AM head unit I'm aiming to keep the price at or below $285. (Cleansweep =$400, AVO Bezel = $115). The only reason to go AM vs. Cleansweep is more functionality AND better SQ.

I need 3 sets of preouts so I have a sub fader, and some type of equalizer would be good. I really like the sound of the Eclipse CD5425 (and it's 5 volt preout signals), but the looks of this years model is waaay too gaudy.:rolleyes: What would be a really good SQ unit with a consertative look that would blend in nicely with the rest of the dash? It needs to be very reliable for many years.

Also, what kind of antenna adapter would I need?

TIA!:icon_bigg

i like my Blaupunkt Bremen - got it for $400.

- two AUX inputs (i use one for iPOD, one for stock 6 CD changer)

- steering wheel remote

- dual digital diversity tuning (comes with a second windshield antenna)

- 108 band parametric EQ

- external microphone for auto-EQ adjust and active volume

- sub level, phase, low pass, subsonic filters

- 4 channel (5.0V) preamp output

- display illumination color can be set to one of four preset colors, or manually adjusted to any one of 4,096 different shades, and adjustable button color to match your dash

- a crapload of other features

not too "blingy", but it packs a lot of bang for the buck.

display looks "purplish" in photos, but its actually "bluish-white" to match the stock clock/AC/stereo

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Landshark/28299.JPG

http://www.recommendedbuys.com/images/blaupunktbremenmp74.gif

that looks really nice...and you still have full use of the stock 6cd changer...did you have to do anything special to still have that work

you just run the front speaker outputs into a line-out converter ($15 or so), and into an AUX input of the headunit. i set the factory volume to 25 (supposedly flattest EQ curve) and control volume with the aftermarket headunit/remote.

That sounds nice, but it's way out of my $285 budget.

I forgot to mention, but for my budgetr remote controls probably aren't gonna happen; no biggie.

ebay is your friend. ;) the Bremen retailed for over $700. there is also the Los Angeles model, which is a step down (probably loses the auto EQ/active volume and ???). search around, mang.

I had a Blaupunkt "7-series" radio in my Passat. Instead of a detachable face, it used a smart card for security. It came with two smartcards and the radio presets were stored on the cards, which is nice if you have multiple drivers. When the smart card was not in the unit, there was a flashing orange "tongue" to deter theft. Too bad they abandoned that concept; it worked really well until my VW dealer shoved some kind of tool into the card slot and broke it.

I would not buy another Blaupunkt until they get with the program and offer a satellite radio tuner.

I recently took my eclipse cd5444 out of my old car (2004 model) which is basically brand new. I'm looking to sell it. I also did not like the 05 look which is why I bought a left over 04. 5V pre amp, motorized face, memory stick slot, aux out, remote etc. Really a nice deck. Let me know if you're interested.

Okay, that spec list doesn't list the 24 bit DAC. I've been all over the internet looking for confirmation for you. I'll just have to break out the manual. Meanwhile, here's a link to a forum that mentions 24bit dac.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/127565.html

^^ To end the debate in the linked thread, the CD5444 does have AUX for an Ipod which I used when I had it installed, but the unit is not XM ready.

How does $200 including memory stick, original box, documentation, etc and shipping sound?

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've settled on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X589. 24 bit Burr-Brown DACs, 3 sets of preamp outs (4 Volt). Also a 3 band EQ at varios frequencies, lots of high/low pass filter options, a built in amp off switch, etc. It should sound much better than an OEM unit with a level EQ "curve". Price is good, I've found it locally for a tad over $200 + tax. Here's a pic:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J9CodqM3OA9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=morephotos&pi=2&i=113KDCX589&display=XL#Tab

There's very little info about this online from users I could find. Anyone have experience with this? How about other Kenwoods w/motorized faceplate? Are they reliable? Does the mtorized faceplate break easily?

Also, what's the deal with the antenna wire? Do I need an adapter to use the stocker with the AM HU?

TIA!:)

I really wish aftermarket HU's had less bling for better dash integration. That thing is a bit ugly, IMHO. But so are most other HU's!

I worry about motorized faceplates too, but for $200 who cares if it breaks in a few years.

Too bad Alpine dropped the multi-color illumination for 2006 models. The new stuff won't match the leggy backlighting. The 2005 models looked sweet! I'll probably go Alpine anyway. Maybe I will take apart the faceplate and change the LED's.

Archived