LegacyGT.com

Catalytic converter Legacy 2013, options

Check engine is on, P0420 error code.  Dealer says cat converter(s) need replacement and i was slapped with a 6k estimated. I need help to make the proper decision  . I don't really need the car but it is a convenience to keep it.

Option 1 

Keep the car; don't fix the converter (it passed inspection where I live).

Option 2

Aftermarket converter and replace it at a non-subuaru shop ?

Option 3 

Sell the car , At loss, most probably 

Edited by bandapear

• 2 weeks later...

same year...same issue...i replaced the downstream o2 sensor first...bought me about a year...then the code came back and i replaced the upstream o2 sensor...didn't help...so i replaced the cat with aftermarket...got me from feb of this year to nov of this year and the p0420 came back...i assume it's due to the heavy oil consumption issue i'm dealing with...tough starting and idles low...probably going to put a spacer on the downstream sensor just to get rid of the code and just keep driving till it won't start...won't need inspection until august so i'm good for a little while

8 minutes ago, bandapear said:

SOA talked with the dealer and they reduced the quote by half , i think it s a good deal still mulling about it

my aftermarket cat replacement cost $615 total...what is the one they want to install on your car made of, 24k gold?

2013 legacy , 130k . I am thinking the following even if I had to change an engine down the line for 7k . It is still better than buying a new car , due to sales taxes , interests and what have you and a cheapest reliable car is at least 20k . CPO is the same . As for used is the luck of the draw , am I missing something 

Edited by bandapear

Yes sir , the OEM catalytic converter has precious metal and people actually steal it, I could find in junkyards probably due to that fact people buy it and sell what is inside . After market converters don t have that precious metal and they usually fail within a year or two 

MSRP for the two cats from Subaru is right about $3k and about $2.5k online (one of the cats has two versions - not sure which one you need, but they are a couple hundred more) - if the dealer is replacing both with oem at around $3k then that's a good price.  Aftermarket on Rockauto for the pair is $800-1000 depending on which two you need.  Aftermarket definitely have a poor reputation in general, but I am sure there are decent ones out there.  The catalyst is the expensive part, so perhaps these have a smaller surface area/less catalyst or are using a standard geometry and they can get the cost down by economy of scale (use the same one for everything in pipes that fit each car) - they all are going to use a precious metal catalyst - that's sort of a requirement...

10 hours ago, bandapear said:

Yes sir , the OEM catalytic converter has precious metal and people actually steal it, I could find in junkyards probably due to that fact people buy it and sell what is inside . After market converters don t have that precious metal and they usually fail within a year or two 

all catalytic converters have the same precious metals in them...that's how they do their job...my aftermarket one failed due to the severe oil consumption i'm dealing with in my car