LegacyGT.com

Comparison Between 2020 Limited XT and 2024 Legacy Sport Wanted

Due to issues with my wife’s 2020 Onyx XT Outback she wound up getting a new ‘24 Onyx XT this week. It is a remarkably better vehicle, smoother CVT, much better accelerator response, quieter cabin, more responsive infotainment system, and of course the upgraded audio system. Just a noticeably better car overall. So that’s got me curious if there’s been similar improvements in a ‘24 Legacy from my 2020 Limited XT. I see that they’ve essentially replaced my Limited version with the Sport which has fabric seats, no driver memory door buttons, but is otherwise essentially the same. So if I wanted to replace my Limited XT for some reason, that Sport model is probably what I would choose. I am interested if any on here have gone from a 2020 XT to a Sport or Touring, which seem to be the only ones with the turbo engine, and have noticed any significant improvements. 

3 hours ago, Jp1975 said:

Due to issues with my wife’s 2020 Onyx XT Outback she wound up getting a new ‘24 Onyx XT this week. It is a remarkably better vehicle, smoother CVT, much better accelerator response, quieter cabin, more responsive infotainment system, and of course the upgraded audio system. Just a noticeably better car overall. So that’s got me curious if there’s been similar improvements in a ‘24 Legacy from my 2020 Limited XT. I see that they’ve essentially replaced my Limited version with the Sport which has fabric seats, no driver memory door buttons, but is otherwise essentially the same. So if I wanted to replace my Limited XT for some reason, that Sport model is probably what I would choose. I am interested if any on here have gone from a 2020 XT to a Sport or Touring, which seem to be the only ones with the turbo engine, and have noticed any significant improvements. 

If it were me I would probably go for the XT.  The sport is the same car with exception of interior and certain exterior cues.  

The question is what the dealer wants to get rid of on the lot.   Honestly I don't see that many 6th or 7th gen Sports around. And that sorta car is my eye as they are different.  

If you want cloth and no seat memory then the sport is for you.  Now if only we can get a 6 speed manual.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, laufu said:

The Sport also comes with SI-Drive., the Touring XT does not.  

That would be an advantage for me. I’d lose the memory door buttons, and the leather seats, though. 

On 10/3/2023 at 3:12 PM, Jp1975 said:

That would be an advantage for me. I’d lose the memory door buttons, and the leather seats, though. 

Agreed, I wish the Touring XT had SI-Drive.  I do like the front camera on the Touring though, also surprisingly, I have come to like the orange leather in the Touring.  

Whenever I get to drive my wife’s new ‘24 OB XT it feels like the acceleration is better than my ’20  Legacy XT. So I’m curious if someone has been able to make such a comparison between a ‘20 and ‘24 Legacy. 

6 hours ago, laufu said:

Agreed, I wish the Touring XT had SI-Drive.  I do like the front camera on the Touring though, also surprisingly, I have come to like the orange leather in the Touring.  

When I get into my 4th gen 3.0R I simply forget I have SI-Drive. We can add another thing. Getting rid of the CVT Trans. But that will never happen.

6 hours ago, Jp1975 said:

Whenever I get to drive my wife’s new ‘24 OB XT it feels like the acceleration is better than my ’20  Legacy XT. So I’m curious if someone has been able to make such a comparison between a ‘20 and ‘24 Legacy. 

Check the tire pressure.

A lot of the dealers will set to 40 psi and it will seem like the car is "Faster" off the line.  The two cars have the same engine. So I'm this case it's not that.  Subaru could have tweaked with the programming of the trans a bit so it gives more of a linear feel.

9 hours ago, MoleMan said:

Subaru could have tweaked with the programming of the trans a bit so it gives more of a linear feel.

Yes that’s what I’m assuming they have done. Tire pressures are spot on. The difference in accelerator response is significant. I know many do a “calibration” procedure because of perceived inadequate response by doing 30 presses down and up. I’ve even tried this myself with no change. But in the ‘24 OB no such shenanigans are necessary. I’m still waiting to hear from someone who went from a ‘20 Legacy XT to a ‘24 to find out if the same was done on them. 

11 hours ago, Jp1975 said:

Yes that’s what I’m assuming they have done. Tire pressures are spot on. The difference in accelerator response is significant. I know many do a “calibration” procedure because of perceived inadequate response by doing 30 presses down and up. I’ve even tried this myself with no change. But in the ‘24 OB no such shenanigans are necessary. I’m still waiting to hear from someone who went from a ‘20 Legacy XT to a ‘24 to find out if the same was done on them. 

Also understand the trans is always learning. A new car that has not been driven will respond way different then a car a few years old.  

You could go out and drive really aggressively with the 2020 and see if the trans feels any better.  If you really wanted you could disconnect the battery and see if that wipes the computer and that may give you a fresh start relearning.

Then again you can always buy a sprint booster of pedal commander and get the feel you are looking for.

On 10/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, laufu said:

The Nappa leather is now a choice of black or brown instead of Sierra Tan.  Just about everyone likes the tan when they see it so the new colors are a letdown.

Edited by Stuff
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MoleMan said:

Also understand the trans is always learning. A new car that has not been driven will respond way different then a car a few years old.  

When we first got our 2020s we had to learn the transmission and adjust how we accelerated to get the best response. Took several weeks as I was coming from a 5sp manual and my wife from a 6speed automatic on another Outback. That’s why I’m so impressed with this new 24 XT. No learning or adaptation needed, it just responds more quickly. I’ve not taken it out and hammered it, my wife would kill me, but it is more responsive from the get go. I would speculate that it may have greater low speed acceleration but no faster over all. Anyway you look at it, it is an improvement and a very impressive vehicle. Subaru did good with these. I think anyone going from a ‘20 to the ‘24 would consider this a significant upgrade. The more responsive infotainment unit is the cherry on top. 

2 hours ago, Stuff said:

The Nappa leather is now a choice of black or brown instead of Sierra Tan.  Just about everyone likes the tan when they see it so the new colors are a letdown.

Love the Brown personally.  Am even thinking of finding some Brown seats out of a 6th Gen Outback Touring to swap with my Warm Ivory seats in my 6th Gen.  I don't dislike the Tan but the car needs to be a certain color to look good for me.  

1 hour ago, Jp1975 said:

When we first got our 2020s we had to learn the transmission and adjust how we accelerated to get the best response. Took several weeks as I was coming from a 5sp manual and my wife from a 6speed automatic on another Outback. That’s why I’m so impressed with this new 24 XT. No learning or adaptation needed, it just responds more quickly. I’ve not taken it out and hammered it, my wife would kill me, but it is more responsive from the get go. I would speculate that it may have greater low speed acceleration but no faster over all. Anyway you look at it, it is an improvement and a very impressive vehicle. Subaru did good with these. I think anyone going from a ‘20 to the ‘24 would consider this a significant upgrade. The more responsive infotainment unit is the cherry on top. 

They will always make the infotainment better etc.  Chances are it's probably a programming tweak. Only other thing I can think of is with the tweak they increased to boost by a PSI or two. That could also be the difference. 

They have now got the vehicle more refined.  That being said we are in year four of this platform. So I would imagine they are ramping up for a total redesign for the 2026 line up.  From what I understand the chassis will most likely be the same.  I would bet money we will either see the Legacy cut all together or an electric version added to the line up.

Edited by MoleMan

9 hours ago, MoleMan said:

They have now got the vehicle more refined.

They really have. Just comparing the Onyx XT versions—the ‘24 has a quieter cabin, upgraded audio system, more responsive acceleration, faster responding infotainment system, heated steering wheel. My wife feels as if she’s driving a different yet still the same car. Her infotainment system, in the ‘20, was so slow to respond it was almost useless. The one in my Legacy was always much quicker, now it’s the slow one. This is the car, barring major issues, that we will have for at least 10 years without feeling that there is something better. 

On 10/5/2023 at 8:14 PM, Stuff said:

That's interesting.  I was surprised the 20 Outback Nappa leather, and the 20 Legacy Nappa were different colors.  I thought they were the same leather. The Outback brown is closer to the brown on the Ascent, but the Ascent Touring does use the Nappa leather.   I guess it was easier for Subaru to go with the brown from the Outback.