LegacyGT.com

1995 Legacy Rally Cross Car EJ251/22E Frankenmotor Build

After nearly 30yrs and 300k miles (and god knows how many owners), my 1995 Legacy finally kicked the bucket and seized the stock EJ22E. Coincidentally, my '03 Legacy OBW ate the cyl #4 bearing just a few weeks before, so because I'm on a budget and looking for a bit more power for Rally Cross, I'll be taking the 251 shortblock (tore it apart last weekend to inspect it, and the internals were fine, but I will be ordering a new crank and new bearings) and putting the 22E heads on it.

In this thread, I'll be trying to post updates of the process of this build as well as documenting the parts that are required for doing this project. This is my first time building an engine, so I probably won't be able to give much advice but if anyone is wanting to do this project in the future, I can share some of my experiences.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

10/12- Both the EJ251 and 22E have now been fully stripped and inspected. The 251 was fine despite having eaten the rod bearing, though the 22E fared a bit worse. Both head gaskets (the infamous single layer graphite ones, meaning these were the originals from the 1994 build date) had failed causing oil and coolant to do their mixing. Cylinder #4 saw the piston meet the head, though the heads made it out mostly fine (thank god for non-interference). Performed a leak test and one valve bubbled, so we're going to check to see if it is bent, or if it's just not seating properly. The rod on number 4 had also welded itself to the crank which explains why this engine seized while the 251 still ran. The 22E short block has now been tossed to scrap (may it rest in peace).

All bottom end parts that were salvageable have been cleaned and we are starting to collect gaskets. I've also ordered a new crankshaft because although it was in good enough condition that getting it re-machined was possible, all local shops were 6+ weeks out from having an opening and would have cost the same as a reman w/ bearings.

So far the project is going well (currently in the 'waiting on UPS stage'), and if you've never had the opportunity to tear apart and EJ before, it's a fun engine to work on as they are relatively simple all things considered.

IMG_0486.JPG

Welded rod:welded_rod.JPG

block_halves.JPG

parts_pile_in_OB.JPG

Edited by KGJT-9149
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update 12-7-2023:

Delta 200 grind cams installed in the 2.2 heads.

Rotating assembly is installed and the block halves have been bolted together.

Pistons have been cleaned (a few hours with the wire brush and soapy water did the trick).

New radiator has been put together. It's just a cheap ebay one, we're expecting that we'll probably have to replace them after every season due to mud and debris clogging up the fins.

Most parts are in/ordered, though I discovered that the free ebay stage 2 clutch that we installed this past April has a few large cracks and missing chunks in the friction disc, so a new one will need to be ordered.

Overall the project is going well. It's been a really fun learning experience and I can't wait to get the car back on the road/track.

• Like 2