LegacyGT.com

2015+ Steering Rack conversion Q.

Just recently replaced LGT steering pump on mech's recommendation to resolve my steering issue, didn't resolve issue.  Time for new mech.  My next guess it's the rack.  Can't see it being anything else at this point.

A couple of questions:

1) If I'm looking to pick up an upgrade, would it be 2015-2019 STI rack i'm looking for? 

2) Once I have the rack, reading that I'd need to trim off .75 inches on the threads of the inner tie rod end.  If thats the case, the reason this is being done is because I'm re-using my LGT outer tie rod ends and need it for my 2 degrees of camber? or are STI and LGT outer tie rod ends the same.   i would order new outer tie rod ends, just not sure if I should be ordering STI or LGT.  

3) Had I known I would be going to need a rack, I would have upgraded my steering pump from LGT to STI.  Will i still notice much of a difference in steering on the road with the upgrade if i didn't upgrade the pump? 

4) Should I be replacing all lines to the STI rack before installation, my current lines are not leaking. 

Much cheaper for me to just get new LGT rack and move on, but am always looking to tweek improvements where I can get them without additional or immediate failure buying used products.  I've found a  2019 STI rack for about the same price as new LGT.   

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm not in a position to do much searching for what I recall right now, but what I recall is that a steering column link also needs to be replaced.  I am just getting my '05 OBXT back running after engine rebuild and 6MT swap, and while I was doing all that I decided I may as well put in the '15+ STI steering rack.  I am not an authority to answer your questions about what you should do.  What I did was replace my tie rod ends as part of the Whiteline roll center kit, and I kept my stock pump and hoses.  I did source and replace that link to the steering column, but don't remember details.  Having just started the engine and not driven the car yet, I am not yet in a position to tell you whether or not I am pleased with the swap.  Gotta go for now.  Good luck!

ETA - I'm not positive that steering link wasn't needed just for lowering the OBXT down to LGT height - I do need to research what it was that I did and why.  It's been a three-year project.

Edited by subisubisu

Are you gents talking about the intermediate shaft, solid on STI and rubber gromette on LGT.   If thats you mean, I can start looking to replace, but i currently have the Perrin clips to solidify my LGT shaft.  Should be just as good.  I've read that the STI shaft, although solid, doesn't leave much room at the top for tighting up... like 3/4 of an inch at most.  I don't feel secure with that.  

Edited by MDSubie4

That I’m not 100% sure on. I know when you check the whiteline bump steer kit it’s also the same for sti of similar years. I’m in the market for the 2015 rack myself but haven’t yet looked into those details. If I had my guess…. No difference or are interchangeable 

Edited by blackobxt

There's a huge thread on this I think in the suspension and brakes section: 

https://www.legacygt.com/topic/109310-underdog-motorsports-2015-sti-steering-rack-swap/

Brand new Sti racks will come with tie rods. I used whiteline bumpsteer kit on my 05 lgt and didn't need to trim anything. Some folks mention a thinner jam nut. 

I have the sti solid link. Didn't notice any areas of too little engagement between column or rack ends. I had it on and off a few times trying to line up my steering wheel. 

The thread will have bits of user feedback as far as lines and pump. I'm on a relatively new reman that's too noisy, but otherwise fine. No additional sti lines needed for me.  

Edited by seanyb505
  • Like 1