LegacyGT.com

Trailer Hitch Wiring Question

I had UHaul put a trailer hitch on my car a short while back.  The technician who put the hitch on did not hook up the wiring harness because he was not trained up enough to do that.  I had not planned to pull a trailer anyway, it was for a hitch mounted bicycle rack so I let it go at that.

I now would like to hook up the wiring harness as there are occasions when I need to pull a small utility trailer.  The Subaru dealer where I purchased the car indicated they would not do the electrical hook up (or the hitch for that matter as I had originally gone to them for that job). 

There is a Trailer sales company nearby that indicated they would do it but the quote for the work was around $325 which I thought was a bit high, more than what I paid for the trailer hitch installation.

I think I can do the Plug-and-Play electrical part myself except for running the wire up front to the 12 Volt battery.  That looks tricky and requires a hoist.

My question is:  If I just plug the 12V wire into a portable 12V battery placed in the trunk when I want to pull a trailer, can I disconnect the wire when not in use?  In other words, will the car’s tail lights work normally if the 12V wire that runs the trailer lights is disconnected?

Thank you.  There is a ground wire in the harness.  Is there any reason the ground wire that comes off the negative pole of the secondary 12 V battery and the harness ground wire cannot be affixed to the same chassis bolt.  Just trying to keep the wiring tidy.