LegacyGT.com

Rough idle and P2440 after turbo replacement

Hi all, recently my turbo died at 200k miles probably from just time and wear, so I swapped it with a new one that was probably not very high quality. Now I’ve got theP2440 code for the waste gate solenoid and a rough idle. What are my next steps, replace the solenoid, restart the computer? I need a few ideas, thanks!

LOL.  Thats not a code for your boost solenoid.  P2440 is your secondary air injection system.  Your smog pump.  The harness connector is next to the turbo inlet.  Did you unplug something?  Or at 200k is it just a coincidence that you had another failure. 

Service manual only has one diag step for P0244....

"Any other codes displayed?" Yes: Inspect the relevant DTC. No: Replace the wastegate solenoid control valve.

In this case I would solve your cylinder misfires before doing anything with P0244, unless it's obviously unplugged.

Did you disconnect and forget to reconnect/tighten any engine grounds? If you have a massive air leak, like a torn turbo inlet that could cause it though. It's very easy to 'lip' the turbo inlet upon reinstallation depending on how you went about the process, you may have to R&R the turbo again and ensure you have the turbo inlet set properly. You might be able to get away with taking the hex bolt out that holds it to the intake manifold and finagling it around. But also, at 200k miles if you still have the OE inlet, it's likely time for a replacement.