LegacyGT.com

Alternator whine over BT transmitter

Does anyone know a way to reduce alternator whine picked up by a Bluetooth transmitter? Obviously turning the volume down and not using the both AC help, as does driving slower… Playing music instead of podcasts or audiobooks has a similar effect. But us there anything else I can do?

11 hours ago, m sprank said:

Or just cleaning up the OEM grounds on a 18 year old car.  What is powering the BT transmitter?

I will give that a try. It’s plugged into the cigarette lighter.

If using the OEM 12v "cigarette lighter" that is known to have a sketchy ground.  Big three (alternator, battery, block) is probably easier than re-grounding the outlet.  I would still check the OEM grounds especially the block straps to the frame rail.  Make sure the chassis is GROUND.  Use a multi-meter. 

• Like 2

I didn't know that cigarette lighter was known to have bad ground, that's right where I plugged my bluetooth into. I used the cubby 12v.

This video was very helpful when I started troubleshooting electrical issues. One thing I learned was to use a wire extension check ground from your component all the way to the battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Ground path from 12v circuit travels through harness. Had plenty of complaints about burnt out phone chargers and the like.  Started grounding circuit directly to chassis and 99.99% of problems solved.  Not the most scientific study.

• Confused 1

I cleaned a couple of grounds and the alternator positive connector, but it didn't make a difference.

I get whine whether I use the 12v outlet or the cigarette lighter.

It gets worse when you have the air conditioning on. It would be less of an issue if I didn't need to use so much volume to hear podcasts/audiobooks. With music, it's less of an issue since the base volume level is much higher, so you can barely hear the whine.

Take a good gauge wire (like a 0 or 1) and connect it to the battery ground and the chassis.  Clean any paint or debris prior to securing to the chassis.  Should be a strap in each side of the block to the frame rail below and many times they get damaged. 

Those ground straps to the heads always wear out. Replaced them with 10 awg copper and problem solved when I had this issue. 

Worth doing whether or not you have the audio whine. Some folks speculate that the grease on the throw out bearing deteriorates due to bad grounding causing arcing.

Brought to you by Pfizer

29 minutes ago, Dishwasher said:

Some folks speculate that the grease on the throw out bearing deteriorates due to bad grounding causing arcing.

Hmmm.  I should have jammed a scope down through the inspection cover and made a video.  If I could catch arc on video....