LegacyGT.com

Intercooler for Ej20x

Does anyone know what intercooler I should be running on a JDM swapped legacy 2.0. Took my car to a shop for a timing service and they said I may have a boost leak. Looked it over and I do. They said that the coupler between the intercooler and throttle body doesn’t line up very well. Do you guys think it would be an intercooler problem or throttle body? Intercooler seems to be missing some spots where it’s supposed to bolt in but doesn’t. 

7 hours ago, Bariki said:

Do you have a hood scoop? If not, you need a front-mount. Otherwise, the stock inter cooler is fine.

Yes i have a hood scoop. I’m gonna have to take it all apart to see what doesn’t fit and what needs to be replaced 

Assuming your running the stock tmic ? That OEM connector hose is a royal PITA IMO. That's why I love the GS tmic's.

Maybe talk with Grimmspeed about what will work for you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

19 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Assuming your running the stock tmic ? That OEM connector hose is a royal PITA IMO. That's why I love the GS tmic's.

Maybe talk with Grimmspeed about what will work for you.

Yes it’s the top mount. I’m not sure if it got pulled off the EJ255 that was originally in my car, i’m not even sure if it would work like that. But i’ll take a look at a grimmspeed intercooler. If you have one, does it work well?

1 hour ago, silverton said:

If you're using the twinscroll you need the intercooler as well.

I believe it’s the twinscroll. It might’ve been taken from the original EJ255 that it had. Any way I can check on the turbo? I bought the car with the swap so learning all the things they messed up is very interesting. 

22 minutes ago, OwenEj20x said:

Yes it’s the top mount. I’m not sure if it got pulled off the EJ255 that was originally in my car, i’m not even sure if it would work like that. But i’ll take a look at a grimmspeed intercooler. If you have one, does it work well?

It works so well, I bought two, one for each car. SO much EASIER to R&R, then that PITA OEM coupler when working on the engine. It is not cheap though.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

56 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

It works so well, I bought two, one for each car. SO much EASIER to R&R, then that PITA OEM coupler when working on the engine. It is not cheap though.

Lol nothing on a subaru is cheap to be honest. Only thing I have to figure out now is if i I need the STI style or not. Thanks 

45 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Here are mine.

DSCN7057.JPG

DSCN7059.JPG

DSCN7058.JPG

Sweet. Black legacy looks same as mine except different engine. I’ll be looking into a grimmspeed intercooler soon but I need a timing service and i’m currently driving on a cracked belt, so we’ll see if there’s a need for an intercooler if my engine doesn’t self destruct