LegacyGT.com

How much weight difference by losing spare?

Just curious. Rather than talk about mod-ing, I thought I'd toss out this question. How much weight is used by the spare wheel/tire (mini, I believe) and any accessories included to change said spare. I had taken a peak at the trunk at a dealer some time ago and can't remember what was involved in actually getting the spare out. I remember it looked rather snug where it was. But, if it was easy to remove and saved 40-50 lbs along with the tools....it would make better, albeit nominal, savings towards for the horsepower. For jaunts around town maybe it's an option. I don't know. Especially if you have AAA and/or a can of fix-a-flat...

The spare tire, if a donut probably weighs about 25-30 pounds. The jack another 5 or so pounds. If you are going to the track, by all means remove it. But for everyday driving, it would be unnecessary. A can of fix a flat would work if you are near a tire change place or the hole is small, but what if you get a blow out? I'd keep the spare in the trunk unless you are going to the track.

[quote name='Driver72']The spare tire, if a donut probably weighs about 25-30 pounds. The jack another 5 or so pounds. If you are going to the track, by all means remove it. But for everyday driving, it would be unnecessary. A can of fix a flat would work if you are near a tire change place or the hole is small, but what if you get a blow out? I'd keep the spare in the trunk unless you are going to the track.[/quote] Actually, take it out AT the track, you never know what'll happen...

If there is any advice I can give anyone in this forum "DONT REMOVE THE SPARE". I had a rear end accident two weeks ago and I can tell you, if I didnt have the spare in, the car would have folded like a coke can. The spare really did save the rear from further damage. If you want to loose weight back there, only half fill the tank with fuel. Adam.

Only half filling the tank...funny you should say that. I do that now on occasion for the purpose of eliminating weight. I don't know where my nutty ideas come from - they just come. But the collision advice....sounds sound. Now...there must be something 'else' I can remove.....

[quote name='bolbo']Only half filling the tank...funny you should say that. I do that now on occasion for the purpose of eliminating weight. I don't know where my nutty ideas come from - they just come. But the collision advice....sounds sound. Now...there must be something 'else' I can remove.....[/quote] Well, if you don't have passengers often, you could remove the front and rear seats. :D Just trying to be helpful. hehehe. Sorry... it's about 6:30 AM and I'm still at work from the day before and I'm feeling a little goofy. :P

[quote name='MSB']Strange that no-one has mentioned going on a diet :D :D or for the fantasy fans, fill the tyres with helium :o :D :D[/quote] Hey! I never thought of that! 30-40psi of helium in the tires is bound to make a difference, right? ;) hehehe

[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='MSB']Strange that no-one has mentioned going on a diet :D :D or for the fantasy fans, fill the tyres with helium :o :D :D[/quote] Hey! I never thought of that! 30-40psi of helium in the tires is bound to make a difference, right? ;) hehehe[/quote] I'd rather go hydrogen...it's lighter! :lol:

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='MSB']Strange that no-one has mentioned going on a diet :D :D or for the fantasy fans, fill the tyres with helium :o :D :D[/quote] Hey! I never thought of that! 30-40psi of helium in the tires is bound to make a difference, right? ;) hehehe[/quote] I'd rather go hydrogen...it's lighter! :lol:[/quote] Yeah... and the first time you clip a curb with your rim, the resulting spark will literally blow off your tire. Uhm... are we a little off topic? :)

[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='MSB']Strange that no-one has mentioned going on a diet :D :D or for the fantasy fans, fill the tyres with helium :o :D :D[/quote] Hey! I never thought of that! 30-40psi of helium in the tires is bound to make a difference, right? ;) hehehe[/quote] I'd rather go hydrogen...it's lighter! :lol:[/quote] Yeah... and the first time you clip a curb with your rim, the resulting spark will literally blow off your tire. Uhm... are we a little off topic? :)[/quote] I was thinking if you went a fast enough speed the impending heat from friction would blow them off for you.

[quote name='agctr']Yeah remove the front and rear seats, including headliner, dash and carpet. Run completely stock, hmm but the rollcage might add a bit of weight LOL.. Adam.[/quote] And remove the air conditioner and heater. Replace side and rear glass with acrylic. Remove front and rear 5mph bumpers. Remove all air bags. Remove rear axles, differential, and driveshaft.

[quote name='outahere']And remove the air conditioner and heater. Replace side and rear glass with acrylic. Remove front and rear 5mph bumpers. Remove all air bags. Remove rear axles, differential, and driveshaft.[/quote] Or just the front axels and convert to RWD...

Archived