LegacyGT.com

Rims that look nicer than the Spec B 18" rims . . .

SC GT

I posted this in the photos section but it might be more applicable here: [quote]I am considering the Enkie Bortex RPM2s in 18x7.5 @ 18.9lbs [img]http://www.ninosautoaccessories.com/picfolder/enkei/Performance/RPM-2.JPG[/img] They would look nice. There is also a new Ray's wheel that I was considering. [img]http://www.importhookup.com/images/arthurexchange.jpg[/img] They are New Rays Arthur Exchange Wheels, don't know the weight though. Check Importhookup.com for more info.[/quote]

[quote name='SC GT']I think the Audi rims are 19s. Their Japanese-spec rims are 18s. On the one hand, they are around the same weight as 18" P1s. On the other hand, 18" P1s are pretty darned heavy.[/quote] My thoughts exactly, although I love P1's. Those 19's are horrible though. Looks like bicycle rims.

Combine that with a tire and you'd be rotating a bag of sand or concrete mix, you take it, on each corner. ;) Those do look about an inch too big on the Audi IMO. The Rota Tarmac II's cost is pretty good while IIRC I was told weight was supposed to be about 17-18lbs for 17" and about another pound for the 18" variety. [img]http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/Wheels/400/400/rt18Tarmac250028FRSG_01.jpg[/img] They come in a wide variety of colors too. Only downside is they require special lug nuts, but they're still way less than buying a set of stocker wheels and the lugs are supposed to be a special locking variety IIRC, or at least harder for thieves to get a key for. Look [url=http://www.subydude.com/parts/wheels.php]HERE[/url] for all of the Rota wheels. I'd just stay away from the lightweight versions like the Subzero and Attacks.

Yeah. But I'd like to see those in person. In pictures, the blacked out part make the spokes look to thin for my tastes. What I'd really like to see is the Tarmac 2s in full royal all over the rim, or painted in hyper black or hyper silver.

[quote name='SC GT']Yeah. But I'd like to see those in person. In pictures, the blacked out part make the spokes look to thin for my tastes. What I'd really like to see is the Tarmac 2s in full royal all over the rim, or painted in hyper black or hyper silver.[/quote] Those spokes have a thin face but are wider as you continue back. They are pretty strong from what I understand. I wish I was rich.. I would buy a new set of something right now..

When you go up in diameter, there has to be more material in the rim, no way around that, except going narrower, which makes it a moot point. Why not have bicycle tires, then. Are there any 18" rims, even forged ones that are that light? The lightest I have heard of is in the neighborhood of 18-20 lbs. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd begin to worry about strength at 17lbs or less, though. The trick seems to me to be to add the least amount of weight possible to the rim, and perhaps take a pound or two off the tire's weight when going plus 1. Even that isn't always possible if you go with a wider tire. A few years ago, it was easier to loose weight in the rolling assembly by going plus one or two with the wheels and tires. The cast factory wheels were overly heavy, and the 50-60 series tires had more carcass to them. You could go with a premium quality aftermarket forged or well-cast rim, and drop a few pounds, and the tires would be lighter, too. Now the playing feild is more even, and by going plus one, don't be suprised about saving very little weight, or maybe even gaining a pound or two. The stiffer wheel/tire assembly, with larger contact patches, is still a benefit though. It allows the dampers and brakes to do their jobs without tire-flex sapping the energy away, or loosing traction as easily. Engineering on cars with lower profile tires can optimize their damper rates more closely, and the whole suspension gets more precise. Mazda seems to be pretty decent at that. The thing is, you add traction when increasing the over-all diameter, and width at the same time. the contact patch grows fore and aft, as well as in width. Then it is a matter of additional torque being applied through the gear ratio (which also changes slightly with a tire diameter increase), in overcoming the small increase in gyroscopic weight, and the increase in rolling resistance. There is also more inertia, to help overcome rolling resistance when in motion, but will take more work to accellerate or decelerate. The brakes and the handling benefit from the increased traction of wider or taller tires, as well as driveability in the case of having too much torque in the first place. If not enough torque is available, the car will actually get slower after the change. Then it is time for engine mods. You know what they say, when modding: Brakes first, then suspension/handling, then finally power. (driver probably belongs at the beginning of that list, but is it's own topic) It is all a balancing act, in the end. Keep in mind that brakes are also counted in unsprung, and gyroscopic weight. (just the rotors, the calipers are unsprung, but not rotational, as well as a percentage of the suspension.) A pound or two, plus or minus will make a change, but the whole rolling assembly does weigh more than just the wheel and tire.

[quote name='Xenonk']SSR Comps my friends.. bang for the buck.. Keefe[/quote] After a search of SSR wheels, I think you are right. Check this out......ahhhhhhh, I need a towel. [url]http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheelOnCars.jsp?CImageNumber=2[/url] Now if I can just imagine on my Silver Legacy GT. Gotta find out the price and weight of these babies.

Well at the Tirerack the SSR GT-7's as pictured in the link are only 16.8 lbs each in 17x7.5 size, but they are $409 each. I didn't see 18" like in the picture though. SSR Comps are lighter 17x7.5 are only 12.8 lbs each....WOW that's light 18 x 8 inch are only 14.6 lbs each. SSR Comps are a bit cheaper too, the 17x7.5's are $355 each. But I don't like them as well as the GT-7's I just don't know if I want to spend $1600 on wheels. Yikes

revolutionsmotorsports.com has some titanium chrome Tarmac IIs for sale. Kind of blingy, but they might look nice on a black Leg: [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Revolutions/Rota%20Wheels/MiscStuff080.jpg[/img]

Archived