LegacyGT.com

Weight.... this can't be right... can it?

From the Subaru.ca website:

Interior: Leather upholstery and interior trim

I seem to remember reading in the manual or something somwehere that it specifically referred to the seating surface as being leather, and the seat trim being leatherette.

Also, the Subaru.com website says leather, not leatherette - I am sure the lawyers would be all over that one if it wasn't real leather.

I guess you're right -- the Subaru.ca site calls it "sporty perforated leather"; I'm curious how the perforations make it sportier than the non-perforated leather.

I don't understand why on Subaru.com they call it a "leather-trimmed interior".

Guest *Jedimaster*
you should see my Great Dane making lawn ornaments..

:lol: My Mini Schnauzer makes huge crap-she's 18 pounds and craps bigger than my 55 pound Golden Retriever! :eek:

Meanwhile, back on topic...

I would guess that most of the weight gain is wheels, tires, and perhaps thicker leather upholstery, and I think the poster might be on to something that mentioned 05 LGT Limited weight VS 06 LGT weight.

Wheels... more spokes, larger diameter, probably about 4-5lbs each more than GT 17s.

Tires... another 2-3 lbs per tire... Add about a pound for the TPMS sensors.

NAV... Drive, wiring, screen... I'd say 5-10 lbs.

Stereo - nil. Add a pound for the extra wires in the roll contector and the steering wheel controls.

Side sills? C'mon. Nil-to-5lbs each. adding a chrome strip doesn't constitute a large change.

New side impact airbags probably add nil-5lbs total. New steel in the B-pillars probably 5-10lbs.

the console plaque adds probably a whole 4oz.

At the outside of my estimates, we are looking at 56lbs. The actual difference is only 45lbs...

I would guess that the aluminum suspension is similar or slightly less weight... and stronger aluminum peices. The struts would be a likely wash, but upside down for better unsprung/sprung weight division.

is there a larger spare tire for the 18" rims? that would add weight, but might not exist.

I mean, really, is it that big of a deal? I just thank FHI for making it lighter than a 4200lb Dodge Charger, or a 3900lb 05+ Mustang. some of that is getting rediculous.

shouldn't that be stamped steel suspension, not cast iron, cast iron would be HEAVY.

Here's a direct quote from the Subaru Press Release:

Featuring inverted struts and aluminum-alloy components, the Bilstein® sport-tuned suspension delivers the reduced weight and greater cornering abilities that can only be found in the spec.B.

The multi-link rear suspension gains aluminum-alloy rear arms and upper links in place of cast-iron pieces to reduce unsprung weight (and thereby enhance handling response).

Cast-Iron to Alluminum should be a bit of weight difference... I'm thinking 40 or 50lbs maybe? I'm not sure the size of the pieces we're talking about, so I don't know, but lets do some new math here....

LGT = 3365lbs

+Navi = 10lbs

+rims = 16lbs

+tires = 10lbs

+side skirts = 2lbs

+mp3 = 4oz

+steeringwheel-controls = 4oz

EDIT: +black/red Leather = +5lbs

+plaque = -1lb (coolness factor)

=3407.5lbs

Even with all these options, it brings it to just about the same weight they advertise. I'm wondering if I should ask subaru, I just don't see a compelling argument for why the curb weight is so high other than, perhaps its wrong?

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

I mean, really, is it that big of a deal?

Go see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. The internet is meant for arguing about things that ARN'T important =)

0 rows returned

Guys, don't you remember? Poop threads are frowned upon here.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/nono.gif

I'm new here... I don't know any better :icon_bigg

0 rows returned

I just spoke with my dealership, they did a little poking around, and found on top of the estimates I already posted, the Bilstein shocks weight a bit more than the standard ones, and there is a heavier sway bar which appears to have been taken from the STI (they weren't sure) Both of these work to counteract the weight loss from the aluminum suspension pieces...

Oh... AND Leather weighs more, as the 3365 estimate is the non-limited with cloth interior.

0 rows returned

Guest *Jedimaster*
Aww, crap! why did PGT close that one? I propose a "dirty" thread!

I'm going to make a "Post pictures of your dog's crap" thread.

I am guessing most of the difference is in the leather and sunroof, which are standard on the SPEC B. Is the 3365 for the GT or the GT Limited? That is likely most of the difference unaccounted for thus far, that would offset the suspension weight.

Archived