LegacyGT.com

Oil change and Warranty Question

CrakuhBlack

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but will changing your cars oil yourself void the warranty? For example, lets say at 20K miles my car starts smoking and I take it in for warranty service. Can the dealership say "well, we have no records of you ever having an oil change. For all we know, you could have run the car for 20K miles on the same oil and therefore we cannot honor your warranty"?

Can this happen?

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but will changing your cars oil yourself void the warranty? For example, lets say at 20K miles my car starts smoking and I take it in for warranty service. Can the dealership say "well, we have no records of you ever having an oil change. For all we know, you could have run the car for 20K miles on the same oil and therefore we cannot honor your warranty"?

Can this happen?

From what I've read (on forums, so take that for what it's worth), your warranty cannot be denied if you do your own maintenance, but you'd be obliged to provide evidence of routine maintenance. So, save your reciepts showing you bought oil, oil filters, drain plug washers, etc. You can also enter your maintenance activities into the Subaru owner website.

If it ever came up, you could also submit an oil sample for analysis to prove that the oil isn't 20k miles old (or whatever). If you owned a Toyota or other known for sludging issues, I'd periodically have the dealer do a change (every other change, for example), just in case.

I would absolutely laugh in a dealer / service person's face if they tried to pull that bs on me....

If you messed something up doing it on your own, thats one thing...

I don't save reciepts or any of that. I do however enter in the mileage and stuff into a small log on a piece of paper i keep in the glove box. I put the oil, the mileage, the date, ect, just for my own personal keeping.

One look under my hood & the dealer would quickly know how well I maintain my vehicle;)

I do enter the service times & dates along with mileage! I also staple the receipt (if I remember) to the page.

One suggestion,

Even if you have someone else change your oil, it is a great idea to install a Fumoto Valve. It will save you $$ in the long run plus you don't have to worry about the fool screwing up your drain plug:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived