LegacyGT.com

LGT v. Mercedes R-300/R-500

http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=R500

My local paper had an article this weekend that had a run down of the M-350 / R-500.

Not overly impressive, just a Mercedes Pacifica.. yawn.. they tout it as AWD and so, all the other cars compared were also available with AWD.

R-500: MSRP $56,275* Engine5.0L 24-valve V-8 engineNet Power302 hp @ 5,600 rpmNet Torque339 lb-ft @ 2,700 - 4,750 rpm

R-300:

MSRP $48,775* Engine3.5L 24-valve V-6 engineNet Power268 hp @ 6,000 rpmNet Torque258 lb-ft @ 2,400 - 5,000 rpm

What really blew me away is the other cars the article put 'in it's class' as comarisons. None were the Legacy, and 2 of the 3 they listed as class comparitive didn't even match the leggy in either power, or fit and finish.

Needless to say I was humored. I mean, they said that the 'pacifica' was a comparison vehicle.. ROFL.. OBXT should've been listed as a comparo vehicle for sure. It keeps up easily with the V-6 model, and would still be respectable even against the V-8, not to mention it was more capable than all 3 of the comparison models listed with AWD. Also- the cars listed I think only one came standard with AWD. The rest were expensive options.

I'll look at the article again tonight and post the cars that were compared.. it's funny.. you guys will laugh.

the R class is more "minivan" like than a station wagon. The pacifica does seem appropriate in terms of dimensions and design. Did they include any real wagons?

Yeah the other two comparos were straight up wagons one was the Volvo XC90 I think.. but I might be wrong, I need to check.

The article did mention that the 'class' was the bigger touring SUV / Crossover 'class'.. Regardless, The OBXT would've soundly trounced all 3 comparos vehicles (In fact already has to my recolaction) and kept pace with both M-350/500 for $20K-$15K less..

But I know how that segment looks at things, by price tag only.

I understand why Mercedes fans didn't want to see a car that cost half as much as their beloved tri-emblemed chrysler.. it makes them look silly.

The XC90 is an awesome vehicle, I agree it does not deserve to be compared to the Outback or the Tribeca because it is head and shoulders above both vehicles in all categories.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Ahh, I just remembered, one of the vehicles they compared to was the Ford Freestyle and thats for certain a Wagon (based off the 500 platform, not a minivan) So we're to accept that OBXT < Ford Freestyle even if you attach "SUV/Minivan crossover" to it's moniker? ;)

I mean, if we'll go that way, The Tribeca is better than a friken Freestyle..

Yeah.. it all reeks of 'creating a segment' to put yourself in to lessen the competition in all honestly.

The onus of the article though was finding an AWD capable alternative to Minivans / Truck based SUV's.

OB might not fit that segment, and the B9 fits it better, I agree, but it fits it a far cry better than a Ford-Nostyle.

Okay Update..

They compared the R's to the Pacifica, Caddy SRX and the Freestyle.

I also re-read the article, and they say straight up within the first 3 paragraphs that the comparo is for "AWD equiped / available "WAGONS"

My point isn't so much thqat the R can be put in a class outside of the leggy, the point was that they compared the SRX and No-Style to it, and we all know that Leggy > both of those piles.

Read my next thread on another joke of an article.. you're gonna love it!

R-500.....56K Base....63 Sport:eek:

How about a leftover 05 & a new 06 for the same $:

05 Lgt limited wagon 26k...bumped to stage II + a little bling for new wheels & tires **29k**

06 STI 32k....bump to Stage II...**33.5k**

Oh & by the way there will be cash left, quite a bit of it:)

MB will have a gas guzzler & luxury tax:eek:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived