LegacyGT.com

Optimal tweeter location/crossover frequency

SkiDaddy

First, thank you Manville for eploring different options and pushing the boundaries with this install, as well as for all the help you've given (to me and the board).:jedi:

Hindsight is usually 20/20, and since the two 5.25 midwoofers didn't sound optimal would you use a single 6.5 were you to do this again? What would you change as far as midwoofer & tweeter locations?

The dual woofer setup had its charm... efficiency was better, for example... but on the whole I would do a single 6.5 with the benefit of hindsight.

I have the Alpine type-X 6.5 and tweeter combo. I put the tweeter in the stock location (agreed not the best location). The thing is with these separates the X-over comes with a phase adjustment to help compensate for the less then optimal placement of the tweeter. They give you a chart to get you in the ball park (ie: woofer at 20 degree angle from listener/ difference between ear and woofer vs ear and tweeter use this combo)

Here is a quote from there site:

What's really great about this speaker is that no matter where in the vehicle they're located, you get the maximum effect of it's quality. That's because they can be easily tuned for optimum performance using the Advanced Phase Correction and Off-Axis Adjustment functions built in the crossover network.

The tweeter also has a 7 level adjustment.

The best imaging separates I have ever tried.

LittleBlueGt...

That's pretty cool and it will help smooth out the freq. response in the crossover region, but unless there is a time machine built into the crossovers, I think they would still stage and image better with the tweeters down low in the door.

In the LGT, I would recommend starting by throwing the entire component system (or coax) in reverse polarity on the driver's side... then tweak it from there if you feel the need.

Just for shits and giggles I gave this a shot today.

It totally changed the sound but I cant really tell if it was for better or not. It almost makes me feel like theres something off in my head. With the left side inverted it seems like the right side is stronger? And then changing the sub phase makes it sound completely different again.

I can see how it might sound like the right is too loud at first, because you can actually hear stuff to your right better than with the normal polarity setup. Listen for a while... vocals are probably coming from the center of the car now, as opposed to directly in front of you. This is a better presentation of the recording's sound stage than one that is side-biased but it might take a while to sink in.

You can always put it back if you don't like it, but give it a shot for a few days and try to listen to a bunch of different music.

I wish I could have a switch to flip back and forth. I know if I climb into the trunk to switch it back by the time I come back out I wont remember what it sounded like =P

An interesting note, with the old setup, with the sub in normal phase it was barely noticable and I had to switch to reverse to get any bass. Now when the sub is in reverse it seems to reinforce the right side, but in normal it sounds much louder than it did before and seems to balance everything out.

Now that your midbass range is in phase (with the reversed polarity in the front), it seems that your sub to midbass transition is best with the sub in normal polarity and from your description better than it was before, so that's good. Your crossover point sounds about right for a sedan although you might want to play with it a bit to see if you can get it dialed in better.

Listen for a few days, make a tweak, listen some more... avoid making multiple tweaks at one time.

This is fun, isn't it?

Currently I have both left speakers reversed. Would there be any benefit to running the rear in normal? Also it seems that Ive lost a lot of mid bass, im hoping that adjusting the crossover points will help that.

Fun is when I actually get around to replacing the speakers and dynamatting the doors......

Are your front speakers crossed over also? I don't think this will work out for you unless all your sub frequencies are going to the sub.

You'll recover some of that midbass by running both rears in normal polarity. Since there's no image back there then there's no real advantage to reversing them. This is all theory tho, I haven't played with mine.

Boulderguy asks a good question... are your front speakers crossed over?

As for the rears, turn them down so that they are not dominant and leave their polarity alone... one tweak at a time.... listen for a while... then another single tweak... listen for a while... you get the picture.

Oh, I took it as reverse the entire left side. Rather than both components on the front left =P

Front speakers are at around 95 and rear are around 80. I'll switch the rear polarity back to normal and mess with the crossovers a bit. Before I had the front crossover higher because I didnt need as much mid bass but im thinking now it might help to bring it back down.

Thanks for all the tips.

• 1 month later...

Archived