LegacyGT.com

How does the subwoofer sound?

Mindflayer

I have an option between a Legacy GT Limited sans spoiler, but with the subwoofer; and many with spoilers. I prefer the cleaner look of no spoiler, but I wonder how that subwoofer sounds. Is it terribly bad? I realize it's subjective, so please also mention your preferred music genre.

i don't own a legacy, nor have i heard how the sub sounds, but i do know that the legacy's sound system isn't anything special, if not below decent. if u enjoy listening to music alot and blasting the volume, the current subby sound system, and the amp/sub that is offerend, probably won't cu tit. you would need a 3rd party system.

[quote name='Mindflayer']I have an option between a Legacy GT Limited sans spoiler, but with the subwoofer; and many with spoilers. I prefer the cleaner look of no spoiler, but I wonder how that subwoofer sounds. Is it terribly bad? I realize it's subjective, so please also mention your preferred music genre.[/quote] The stock system is quite flat and lacking. I feel the sub is needed - it won't fix the lacking sound quality, but if you don't want to tear apart the stock sound system, add the sub, it'll add a little thump to the sound - but don't expect it to make it sound great or add heavy bass - it'll just add a little bit more sound to a lacking system. FYI the sub/amp is very small unit and is located under the drivers seat, the positive is while you won't hear too much added basss - you'll at least feel it a little bit. - Mike

Properly adjusted, the stock sub doesn't sound at all. It simply augments the lower midbass region, which adds some body to the sound without being intrusive, as some subwoofers can become. Kevin

[quote name='Drift Monkey']It's decent, and no matter what kind of slack people give it, it suits me fine for now. I also noticed that this unit is a bit better than the one in my WRX. Is this my imagination?[/quote] No, it isn't. I noticed the same thing, and wonder if someone actually bothered to adjust it, post-installation. The WRX's seemed to come either full-on, or all the way down, and you had to adjust it. I haven't had to touch my GT's sub. But indeed, there does seem to be better integration with the overall system. I wonder if this has something to do with the speaker selection in the Legacy? Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Drift Monkey']It's decent, and no matter what kind of slack people give it, it suits me fine for now. I also noticed that this unit is a bit better than the one in my WRX. Is this my imagination?[/quote] No, it isn't. I noticed the same thing, and wonder if someone actually bothered to adjust it, post-installation. The WRX's seemed to come either full-on, or all the way down, and you had to adjust it. I haven't had to touch my GT's sub. But indeed, there does seem to be better integration with the overall system. I wonder if this has something to do with the speaker selection in the Legacy? Kevin[/quote] I have fiddled with it, and am satisfied with how I have it set now. Too much low-midrange/bass was coming from the door speakers so I turned the bass down on the HD and turned the sub gain up. Seems to have worked, and the sub produces cleaner sound. The "hit" is much cleaner than the WRX sub, and sounds less boomy as noted.

Its actually a decent sub, it won't let people outside your car know you have a sub (but those people are idiots anyways) but you can deffinetly notice and feel it in the car. It tumps pretty nicely. I actually find the system in the car to be very nice, better then the upgraded system in the WRX. And it sounds a lot better then most oem systems I have heard in other cars I have been in. I personally don't see any need to modify the stereo unless you are looking to add something like XM or MP3, which I might do one day.

omarco... check this thread... [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=2161[/url] There are two 'screw' type knobs, that can be turned up/down with a philips head screwdriver. Pretty easy to get a balance of what you like. Hope that helps, i.

Archived