LegacyGT.com

Starter turns but doesn't always catch

Hi gang,

So I recently had my '05 LGT in the dealership for a nagging electrical issue (details in another thread).  During the process, the tech indicated that my starter was bad.  He was able to get a used one for $100 and installed it for me.

Anyway, lately this new (used) starter is acting up.  I can hear the starter motor spinning, but it often doesn't turn the engine over.  So my first guess is the solenoid.  Is it possible to replace / repair just the solenoid?  Is there something specific I can do to determine if the starter is bad, or maybe the solenoid or if it's a wiring issue (ie. grounding).  I just can't help thinking that it may be related to the electrical issue I was having and that the old one wasn't really failing, it was just some other problem manifesting in this way.

It's worth pointing out that the tech never did solve my electrical issue.

Just looking for some insight on where to start digging next.

Thanks,

$$$

P.S.  If you have insomnia, the other thread I mentioned might help.  It's a long and sordid tale...

I don't blame you for not reading the other thread.  It's a snooze fest unless you're me.

Starter worked fine this morning.  So that's good at least.

I'll probably take it out and clean it / lubricate it.

Thanks for the feedback.

$$$

Just saying,  NAPA has a rebuilt for not much more money... 

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=starter&referer=v2

There is also a starter greasing thread too, 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here