LegacyGT.com

coming from a 2002 mercedes s-500

hello, i have recently decided to purchase a legacy 2005, i will be doing so in january. today something crossed my mind. all this time i have been driving the benz, which is a v8 with 300 hp. now i know its a heavier car, but thats still a lot of power and torque. i consider myself a good driver, and never "have fun" unless i know that there is no feasible way i could compromise my safety. i don't want to put myself intoa risky situation, but i was thinking that the 2.5i might not be enough to fully satisfy me. its not a question of me wanting to drive fast, its a question of keeping on around the same level, going from one car to the other. then again i have never drivena turbo, i don't know how a naturally inspired engine differs from a forced one (turbo). of course i will test drive both cars when the time comes, but what do you guys think?

curious, but why are you trading a 500? As for forced induction vs. naturally aspirated vehicles, well, a V8 like the Benz provides 'raw' power (naturally aspirated). The Turbo requires an individual to 'build' boost, to gain power, to provide speed/torque (this can be a VERY fun/addictive experience). In your attempt to keep the power around the same 'level,' I think that you may find the Legacy GT or OB XT or 3.0R (here in the states, at least), more to your liking, given the greater power levels. Just my .02 cents.. i.

ooo no i'm not trading the car in. i've been driving on my permit :). january is my 17th bday (i live in NJ) and i will be buying a car. true, if someone sreal first car were to be a GT, most would say "uhhh aren't u a little underexperienced for a turbo?" (doesn't matter anyways my highschool parking lot is filled with stangs, wrx, and bimmers) but that is what i am accustomed to. i drive very well on the mercedes, and it was the car i started practicing on and the car i will finish my permit with. i was wondering if the gt would suit me more. btw, those of you who live in northern NJ, go onto 9w at like 12 or 1 in the morning, it socmpletely empty, talk about a huge stretch of road to floor a car on :twisted:

well, inexperienced or not...it remains to be seen. I have seen lots of young people buy WRX's and think that they are 'invincible' and a month/two/three later, they totalled their cars. Speed should come with some form of responsibility. As for the Legacy 2.5 GT vs 2.5 i I think that the differences are mostly in engine, brakes, rims, and possibly the gauges, as well as price. They are geared toward different market segments. Try each of them...in my opinion, I don't think that you would like the 'power' of the 2.5i. It might be a bit 'slow' for some peoples' needs. Is it a bad car, NO. It's a very nice car -- one with AWD, structural stability, and a 168 HP engine (not in Cali. though...165 there), with nice amounts of torque -- a good starting point, in my opinion. Step up to the GT, and peer pressure might get the best of you, and your car. Speed/power works in weird ways, and the notion of invincibility comes WAY too quick, as is the 2.5GT...QUICK. i.

i do not think i am invicible, nor do i think that kids my age getting wrx (i saw a guy i knwo driving an evo the other day, just got his license) is right. i was just pointing out that its not too farfetched for kids my age to be getting behind the wheel in these types of fast cars. price is of no issue as of now. i have done a lot of research on which car i would like to buy from myself. after reading numerous car magazines, my favorite being import tuner which i still subscribe to, i have gone from the lexus GS, acura tsx, the toyota matrix (don't ask), the subaru forrester xt, the wrx (i think iw as even considering the regulr impreza for a while), and now the legacy. the legacy is perfect for me, i am aware of all its specs. being from NJ, awd is crucial, and awd is hard to come by sedans of this price. subaru reliability and practicality makes something like the legacy, after a little aesthetic modification, perfect for me. so yes i think i am going to get the GT, but i will get behind the wheel of both the 2.5i and 2.5 gt before i make my descision. by the way, those of you with the 5AE GT, hows the new auto transmission?

Hmm, simple answer is this: More power is always better! :D Get the GT and just go easy the first few months until you get the feel for the car. The only downside, at your age, will be insurance costs with the word "turbo" in there. :(

Guest *Jedimaster*
Hmm- you sound like me- I drive pretty conservatively most of the time. But when I want power, I want it to be there. Get the GT.

Yah the insurance isn't bad at all. With me listed as the primary driver it was only 1550 or somethign in NJ and that is really low it was 6000 for the 330Ci with me listed as the primary driver, obviously I was not as it was economically practical.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Boys and Girls, I have to say I test drove an E55 AMG today, I will post more details on the drive later but OMG WOW, the power and the acceleration is something to witness. The braking power is something that I have never seen and with brake calipers the size of a small state in the US, well braking from 100/61 in 15 or so metres, well not many cars come close. Anyway stay tuned for the write up.

All I can say boys is I would need a massive pay day to fork out the 250K + asking price but for the day it was WOW. And not sure if you need to be old as I think the E55 AMG is that quick it actually takes you back in time. ALA Marty McFly

not nessecarilly. its too bad mercedes is owned by chrysler and *now* a crappy quality car, i do take a liking to mercedes styling. of course i'd never buy one, i was just driving it for practice because we only have two cars in our driveway as of now, the s500 an a s430. unless i become a billionare one day and get an SRL or something. i never thought i'd see them selling the mclaren on the minastream market.

[quote name='agctr']Boys and Girls, I have to say I test drove an E55 AMG today, I will post more details on the drive later but OMG WOW, the power and the acceleration is something to witness. The braking power is something that I have never seen and with brake calipers the size of a small state in the US, well braking from 100/61 in 15 or so metres, well not many cars come close. Anyway stay tuned for the write up.[/quote] That car is awesome. And, MB USA is bringing over an E55 AMG wagon to these shores. That is my Ultimate Car, but one that I will never have, given my general aversion to spending more than $30K for a car. The E55 is incredible. There are quite a few of them rolling around my neighborhood, and they always grab my eye. They're great-looking, too. Kevin

Yes the E55 Estate is my dream car so fast yet practical I wish they'd make another M5 wagon like they used to but I doubt they will ever do that again. Antoher great car is a guy who dropped an E39 M5 engine into his E46 Touring I'm sure that made for one hell of a ride.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote]its too bad mercedes is owned by chrysler and *now* a crappy quality car[/quote] Umm, not quite.. The "merger of equals" turned out to be more of a buyout of Chrysler by Daimler.. I think that became fairly clear when a bunch of Germans supplanted the American work force in Auburn Hills. IMO, I think Mercedes' quality went down hill when they decided to ladle on the electronic gizmos and doodads without developing robust systems first, just to be first-to-market. That happened long before Chrysler stepped into the picture I have a friend that works at a MB dealership and can attest that even late 90's Mercedes will spend lots of time in the shop for EXPENSIVE out-of-warranty repairs.. Oh sure, that 98 S-class looks like a good deal (thanks to insane depreciation) until you have to drop 5K to fix the dashboard gauges.

[quote name='eamiller']I have a friend that works at a MB dealership and can attest that even late 90's Mercedes will spend lots of time in the shop for EXPENSIVE out-of-warranty repairs.. Oh sure, that 98 S-class looks like a good deal (thanks to insane depreciation) until you have to drop 5K to fix the dashboard gauges.[/quote] I totally agree, you might as well take your money to Vegas in lieu of buying a bell and whistle laiden 5 to 10 year old luxury car.

[quote name='Gumby'] I totally agree, you might as well take your money to Vegas in lieu of buying a bell and whistle laiden 5 to 10 year old luxury car.[/quote] Agree with you Gumby, which is why I bought the Liberty GT and a trip to Vegas in November! Lets see if I can win enough to buy that Merc! LOL :D -Matt

Archived