LegacyGT.com

Can I Use Outback Springs on Legacy Bilsteins?

Topic!

So I was told that the Bilsteins I purchased last year for my OBW were for Outbacks, not for Legacies. They didn't look any different than the Legacy ones, but took his word for it.

Fast forward many months and I got them installed... they're for Legacies, not Outbacks <_<.

I installed a 1 inch spacer yesterday and while it did lift it a bit, it is still not as high as I would like. A thought came to me about springs today though and, "what if I could put a spring meant for an OBW, on these Bilsteins?"

So that leads me to ask the question above. And if I can, would a non-OEM spring be good, such as a King Spring or similar?

It doesn't need to be as high as it was, but I don't want my tires to slash either, because the car is too low.

Any help is appreciated :)

King springs would still be low like a stock legacy but you wouldn’t need a spacer for the squat. Not sure how this setup would work or ride with ob springs but I’d wager on not great. The outback struts are physically longer than the legacies.

Indeed, I read by about 3 inches: that's why I started this thread, to see if it was at all compatible.

EDIT*** make that ***7*** inches, as per the KYB struts.

That's impossible: I held both in my hand yesterday (my Bilstein rear and OEM OB KYB rear) and they were absolutely NOT 7 inches in length difference.

Edited by Truck_1_0_1_

Where did the 7" figure come from? Just curious. The lift blocks in the OB are like maybe 1.5"? That paired with higher ride might be the 3" you were talking about, but 7" is nonsense.

I don't think you're going to be happy with any hodgepodge way of making those LGT struts work with your OBW.

In my daily OB I went to the 2004 KYB struts all around with Rallitec Overload springs on the rear. Paired with new trailing arm bushing (amongst others...) and a slightly thicker rear sway bar, it handles better than it has any right to.

Are those wagon specific Bilsteins, by chance, and or they stock springs, or pinks? I only ask since there is someone coming to the ECM who expressed an interest in wagon specific Bilstein +pinks. Could be a buyer for them if you decide you didn't want to try and use them.

Dimensions on KYB's website. They list the Legacy rear strut at 18 inches, the OB at 25 inches.

And no, I'll hodgepodge around to make them work: I can't keep spending money constantly for suspension parts and alignments, which is why I wanted to know about the springs. Thanks for letting me know: I too got new arms and a Whiteline 20 mm bar and it handles so, SO much better.

If the springs don't work, I'll do 2 inch spacers and roll my fenders, then call it a day: all I'm looking for is to gain back at least another half inch- inch: as I wrote above, I just don't want my tires slashed, is all.

Edited by Truck_1_0_1_