LegacyGT.com

2015 Legacy 150k 2.5i limited, transmission failing. Transmission code question. Urgently need help, Please.

Hello All,

I have a failing transmission on my legacy and I would like to get another one put in, but I am not sure if there is deal with the transmission code matching between this generation of legacy transmissions.  Does it matter if the transmission code is compatible between the same model of legacy? 

How do you know if it is compatible?  Has anyone changed their transmission for this model and generation of legacy?  Subaru doesn't help, tried dealerships and even Subaru USA number.  They want me to tow the car in to the dealership pay for a diagnosis and they won't answer my question about the transmission code compatibility.  Thank you.

Compatibility is incredibly important.  You can't fit a square thing in to a circle hole, very generalized idea but I hope it helps.  Your options are to take it to a transmission shop that is willing to repair or rebuild, take a crap shoot on a used transmission from a junkyard which very well could fail just like the one in your vehicle, or take it to Subaru and have it fixed correctly with a re-manufactured transmission with a warranty.

If it were my car I'd go with the repair/rebuild option, or the dealer reman.  Cars are expensive to own and maintain, it's all apart of the game!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.  Thats the thing.  This transmission cannot be rebuilt.  I have spoken with transmission techs.  I really need to figure how I can compare trans codes to find a match.  I have a few transmissions that match according to their vins compared to my cars vin.  But the trans codes are very different.  Does anyone know how to match the trans codes for a transmission?

Gear Ratios: 6.32:1

TR580

• 2012-2024 Impreza 2.0L NA
  • 2013-2024 Crosstrek 2.0L NA
  • 2015-2019 Legacy 2.5L NA
  • 2014-2023 Forester 2.5L NA

Maximum torque 250Nm

TR690

• 2010-2012 Legacy/Outback 2.5L NA
  • 2015-2019 Legacy/Outback 3.6L NA
  • 2014-2018 Forester 2.0L Turbo
  • 2015-2020 WRX 2.0L Turbo
  • 2019-2020 Ascent
  • 2020-2023 Legacy/Outback 2.4L Turbo
  • 2021-2024 Crosstrek 2.5L
  • 2022-2023 WRX 2.4L Turbo
  • 2022 Levorg 2.4L Turbo

Maximum torque 400Nm

Learn to read your Subaru Vin:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html#

2 hours ago, Crankypunjabi said:

Does anyone know how to match the trans codes for a transmission?

See the attached excerpt from the 2015 Legacy/Outback FSM. It is important to match the transmission code, perhaps even more than matching the VIN. It would also be worthwhile to verify the code on your current transmission vs. the transmission code specified on the vehicle's model number label.

3 hours ago, m sprank said:

There are two different OEM part numbers for your year and model car.  31000AJ570/31000AJ610.

That's because the front differential was integrated into the CVT housing, and 2.5 Legacy and 2.5 Outback had different final drive ratios. You don't want to get this wrong! Per the http://parts.subaru.com web site:

31000AJ570 => 2015-2017 Legacy (3.900 FDR)

31000AJ610 => 2015-2017 Outback (4.111 FDR)

1.05-ID-Identification.pdf

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The OP appears to be looking at used transmissions rather than speaking with the dealer about a new replacement.  This is a BAD idea as the original CVT transmissions from 2010-2015 are known to have had MAJOR issues and Subaru extended the warranty rather than recall the transmissions like they should have. 

Giving up trying to help on this one. 

Edited by m sprank

penny wise, pound foolish.

I absolutely would not put a used transmission in the car, unless it comes with a decent warranty.  the cost of labor plus the part, it just doesn't make sense. You'll be in the same boat in an unknown amount of time, could be ten years... could be ten days.  If you plan on getting rid of the car immediately, fuck it... do what you will and let the next person deal with it

• Like 1

LOL.  You must know better than the professional's that do it for a living that have been giving you advice. 

There is a reason your trans failed at 150k and not 300k.  The transmissions were faulty and Subaru should have recalled them. The gov did not push, so Subaru just extended the warranty to 7 years as a cost cutting measure. You are playing with fire. 

Another horse we carried on our backs to the water hole that refuses to drink and dies of hydration.  Carry on. 

• Like 1

Not trying to sound arrogant, but my father, now passed, was a master technician studied in Japan at Toyota.  I saw him do it my whole life.  I just dont know how to match trans code between transmission in subarus.  

The reason why mine is failing is because my wife used to drive it 200 miles a day to work l, in moutain area and it the terrain was very taxing.  Thank you for your help. 

No, the reason it failed is due to lack of maintenance, this is partially on Subaru by saying the fluid is lifetime, spoiler.... it's not..  The fluid is good for about 70k, according to a sample of my own 60k mile factory fill CVT-HT fluid tested by Blackstone.  If you live in a mountainous area then you needed to be doing cvt flushes, or at least drain and fills every 25,000 miles according to the service manual.

So, much like you, and every body else that was told it was a lifetime fluid have failing transmissions.  I work in a shop that regularly installs used transmissions from some subaru specialty junk yard in oregon.   He will bring us junk engines and transmissions that we then have to rediagnose and fix, I honestly don't know why we still deal with them.

Sorry to hear about your father, he was probably a better man than mine, I hope mine suffered all the way to his last breath.  That being said, and I don't mean to sound arrogant either, but I am a Subaru Master Tech who works on these cars every day and I, or I should say we @m sprank, know what we're talking about.  Your father sounds like a man who worked on vehicles when they were built to last with the original fluid for 200k miles.  That's not the case any more.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words.  I am sorry to hear about yours, you can't choose family unfortunately.  I was very lucky with my Father.  

That is correct, he did work on cars that lasted 200k.  I have kept cars alive as far as 289k with my own hands, where I fail is transmissions. 

I just did not learn enough about them  Thus, I am asking you.  So thank you for the knowledge. 

I did not know about the frequency of fluid changes for Subaru's.  I had it changed at 100k, as I would expect it to be changed.  Good to know, Thank you.  The cost of getting a new transmission is ridiculous.  So I have to weigh my options carefully. 

I found one 23K, legacy trans.  But the Trans codes don't match.  So I am not sure what to do here. 

I have been told the valve differences and all electronic bells and whistles may make it difficult to get it to work. 

Thank you again!    

@m sprank I learned what I did by watching, asking and doing...yet I claim no expertise.  You are the experts, that is why I am here.  Please forgive any agitation that I may cause, I mean nor have any hubris in the matter. 

But as a side note, you actually mean "diffusion", "osmosis" most commonly refers to concentration gradient in water. 

This I know about, I am professional Chemist....LOL.  Thank you for your help.      

Um...  No, I meant what I typed. Osmosis is the correct term.  I am not a professional chemist, but I am smarter than the average bear. 

Learning By Osmosis 

Learning by proxy, or being exposed to someone, can naturally achieve an unconscious assimilation of ideas, knowledge and even technical skills. It’s called osmosis. The concept is not so different from animals learning from the herd or groups of teenagers all naturally dressing in the same clothing (or a non-issued uniform).

Here are pictures of my transmission label for example, yours should be in the same location just above the starter.  Searching for TR690KJACA on parts.subaru.com will show you a compatibility listing, search for your transmission code to find what year range and models you can use for your replacement transmission:

PXL_20230513_012231982.thumb.jpg.6f6041e91898bba51b5750d543adc52a.jpg'

PXL_20230513_012226696_MP.thumb.jpg.39539ca13af1151fa678c5c79128af90.jpg

Capture.PNG.9885836ba532f3400df9bb8f8dc22bb7.PNG

Edited by silverton
  • Thanks 2