LegacyGT.com

Trailer Electrical Connection

I recently had U-Haul put a hitch on my 2023 XT.  When I picked it up they indicated they did not have time to do the electrical connection and offered to finish that part another time.  As I am 50 miles from the U-Haul facility I thought I might either do it myself or have it done locally.  I am aware Subaru does not recommend towing with the XT and my intention is to primarily use the hitch to haul my bicycles.  I would still like to hook up the wiring just in case.

My understanding is there should be a connector somewhere in the trunk for attachment to a plug-and-play wire harness kit.  I have been unable to find that lead.  In the photo below is a small lead coming off the tail light wires but that appears to be too small ie only 3 pins so I assume it might be for something else.  Does anyone know where that connector might be.

I guess it is possible there is no such connector in this model as it is not designed for towing a trailer.

P1020884.JPG

P1020883.JPG

Unfortunately I don't know about the wiring, but was wondering if you could take a pic of what the hitch looks like installed? I'm thinking of getting one for my 2023 Sport and wondering how much will be sticking out of the bumper.

Sure, and your point is well taken as I considered all of the options before committing to having U-Haul do the work.  The standard hitch that U-Haul uses for the XT with installation was $190.  The EcoHitch is $360 plus installation so there is a  price differential.  I would have gone with the Ecohitch but there is no one in the area where I live (rural wisconsin) who could install it (for whatever reason).

The EcoHitch without the receiver in place is hidden under the bumper.  With the receiver in place it will look just like the photo.  The advantage of the EcoHitch aside from cosmetics, is with the receiver removed it does not sit so low to the bumper and thus will not bottom out under circumstances where there is a big dip in the road.  

If I am not mistaken your Sport version has a different suspension and has more clearance so that may not be an issue.  My advice is to go with the EcoHitch if you can find an installer.  

P1020885.JPG

According to the Ecohitch website, they only make the Hidden version for our car and not the Stealth, so the receiver will always show like the Uhaul version. I guess it would be which one shows less. haha

I just purchased a Draw-Tite Class III trailer hitch, mostly for my bike carrier (model #76332). I was considering the Ecohitch but decided against it as it wasn't going to be hidden in any case and I would rather have a class III rather than a class II in case I actually will need to tow something with it (not that I expect to) - not to mention, the cost was $220 vs $369 fir the Ecohitch. I -think- there is a wiring option there as well: https://www.draw-tite.com/product-assets/install/N76332.pdf Will pay someone to install it, will see how much it costs and will post pics when done. An option I would have considered had I opted for the Outback would be a Stealthhitch (a true hidden hitch) but that would easily go for $700 (hitch plus install). Alas, no Stealthhitches option for the Legacy...

Edited by dohturdima

Installed the Draw Tite hitch, and and am already regretting not going with the EcoHitch instead as I am scraping the bottom when backing in my driveway, which has a sight  incline. Have to back in really slowly now for it not to happen. 

IMG_6098.jpeg

• Thanks 1