LegacyGT.com

Hid headlight conversion need help

So I purchased these hid headlights from Japan and had them sent to a guy to do the drl and turn signal stuff, everything including the main bulbs plug in just fine and the drl and turn signal work great, problem is I’m getting flickering with the hids where they’ll maybe flicker for a minute when first turned on and then they turn off all together, I’m thinking of just getting different aftermarket hids with a balancer kit and seeing if that works but I’m not sure it’ll plug in right to the whole thing, if y’all know a fix or balancer that’ll just plug right in that would help greatly, I’ve also found some info that leads me to believe if I disable the drl, the hid main headlights may work but I’ve yet to try. Someone smarter please reply and let me know thanks!

Ok I did that and the only light that comes on other than turn signals or the beams is the middle bulb at full blast only when I turn on the brights. Is this normal or? Innermost bulbs have yet to ever come on and the low beams out of the circle middle part bulb flicker when the drl is plugged in but basically only what seems to be high beams come on when the drl is unplugged.

6A7A3C72-4E77-4A2E-8EF7-3B3715F9638D.png

214CC3F0-A9CB-44B9-B12B-03D8C20F5AF6.png

The DRL runs at a lower wattage, therefore the HID lights flicker.  Disconnecting the DRL will give you full low beam = normal.  

HIDs often come with both high and lows in a single projector.  I had to order a wire harness with my kit to be able to use the standard high beams - so I would have both the HID highs and the stock highs on at the same time.  

Sounds like the kit in your car does not have that functionality.  I would presume that when you turn on the highs you get more light/different angle of light cast?

6 hours ago, GearJamr said:

The DRL runs at a lower wattage, therefore the HID lights flicker.  Disconnecting the DRL will give you full low beam = normal.  

HIDs often come with both high and lows in a single projector.  I had to order a wire harness with my kit to be able to use the standard high beams - so I would have both the HID highs and the stock highs on at the same time.  

Sounds like the kit in your car does not have that functionality.  I would presume that when you turn on the highs you get more light/different angle of light cast?

Yeah I had them sent from Japan to a guy at vivid optics, a custom headlight company, he did the conversion for the turn signal and drl as well as conversion for the main hid harness. He’s gonna try and help me fix it but yes when the high beam indicator on the dash and the column is not set on, only the side beams turn on, and when the brights are flicked on it only comes on full blast

He must have messed up the wiring then. None of this should happen. Although I did disable DRL by unplugging something under the dash (been a while --- can't remember). I then did my own wiring though for the low beam, high and turn signals. IIRC, you cannot use the ground provided from our wiring harness. It is not a real ground I think. There is a few threads here that describe how to wire everything. It is not that complicated.