LegacyGT.com

Slow crank, no start.

Tried to start my car this morning, it cranked a few times then I heard a whining sound for a split second.  Now it's cranking really slow and won't start.  Battery voltage is good and not throwing any CEL's.  It was -20 degrees outside this morning.

Any ideas?  Possibly starter?  My neighbor said it probably jumped timing but I don't see how that could happen just starting it.  Any input will be appreciated.

Starter is most likely original from what I can tell.  Yesterday it was in the mid 40's so I tried to jumpstart it and got the same results.  

Tried to do a voltage drop test on the starter but not sure if I did it correctly.  I had a probe on the wire going to solenoid and the other probe grounded.  When first cranking it read around 8v but dropped to 6.5v as cranking slowed down.

My starter isn't original and my car hasn't even seen weather as cold as yours. Definitely not a bad idea to replace the battery and see if that starter comes to life after 5 seconds of cranking or so. If not then don't drain the new battery and go out and get a new starter. Might also be worth giving the starter a tap.