LegacyGT.com

EJ255 Engine differences in auto and manual trans.

I have a 07 lgt. That has a blown engine. I found an engine (same year but it’s a wagon) but it comes from an automatic car and mine is a 5 speed manual. The engine types are not the same. Mine has an engine type-EJ255BEDLB, the engine I’m looking at is type-EJ255BLDLB. I’m wondering if that engine will work in mine? Does  anyone know the difference between them?

Ah…. Should have mentioned that if you’re doing a complete engine swap, east peasy.

If just short or lock block swap, you want to know what happened to the last one, and there is a list of parts to replace/have cleaned if there is any chance of metal having contaminated the oil, etc….

Its not the cam gear guides, its the crank gear/timing belt guide. Thats the only difference. Autos dont experience shift shock, so subaru saved a nickle and skipped the belt guide on autos.  Use the guide from your MT engine its two 10mm bolts to remove it. 

Regarding the timing belt guide, make sure there is an air gap between the guide and the timing belt. There is actually a spec for this, and there is a handy tool from Gates, but if need be you could probably use a piece of cardboard. Wedge it between the belt and the guide while you tighten the bolts down, remove it when you're done. If not done, it can and will rub/damage the timing belt.

5AA5BF94-FA8A-4FDD-A4CB-237E2453B07E.thumb.jpeg.a2b0a7594a7007cdce56eb5de26ae3f7.jpeg

This is the guide that you’ll find on the manual engine, but not the auto.

Forgive the condition of the parts, they’re all junk. This is just my spare engine…. Ya know, because ynansb.

Turns out the parts car I bought just for it’s block had a manual engine swapped in. (It was an auto…)

Edited by KZJonny

• 2 weeks later...