LegacyGT.com

05 LGT ENGINE into 08 OBXT

Who has done it before? My 08 is dead and I want to give it new life with the engine from my 05. Is it as simple as swapping the intake manifold and the wire harnesses? What should I be on the look out for? I will keep the 08 turbo and have it tuned. Anything else?

Thanks yall

Not sure if/how the 2008 air pump thing will complicate things. The heads are different, but I think functionally the same. Hard oil lines are different but not crazy to make them work.  If you have all parts like harnesses and such, there's no reason you couldn't make it work. Just compare most everything to see what's different. 

Air pump delete kit might be the easier thing? Don’t know if you’d get a permanent CEL tho, and it’s getting harder to find a tuner to delete emissions related codes.

As stated above, all else should be functionally the same. I know a guy who did something similar, tho I think it was an 06 into an 08…. I believe he kept the air pump, and VF46 as well.

The 05 heads won't have the ports for the air pump. I did the opposite by using the later heads in a 2005. I needed block plates in that recipe, but idk how you'd do it going the other direction. And yeah tuners might be nervous to touch it...

Depending on how dead your 2008 engine is, you can throw those (cleaned and reconditioned) 2008 heads on the 2005 shortblock. 

msprank brought up the very good point in another thread that if open source tuning isn't an option, or local tuners are hesitant to touch emissions codes, then EcuTek out of the UK is potentially a great option. The chances of them caring much about tuning a car that bypasses US emissions standards are slim, but that theory has yet to be tested.

4 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

Won't 2008 heads on a 2005 block change the compression ratio?  The '05 block was the STi block (actually 257), and the 06+ are a different piston 255 block.

Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Yes, but slightly 

4 hours ago, dredsky said:

Yes but my understanding is the compression change can be tuned for. Seems the easiest thing is to swap in the 05 longblock, swap intake to 08 and tune for cel.

Yes, with as far as I can tell no driveability issues. 

• Thanks 1