LegacyGT.com

Issues with acceleration - stuck throttle or wastegate?

So for the last 2 years or so I've had some issues with my acceleration. Somedays it's perfectly fine, other days it's a total nightmare to drive down the street. 
I can have the pedal all the way down and the car just doesn't seem to want to go. It will usually maintain my speed and/or speed up very slowly. If I leave the pedal in the same exact spot eventually within 5-15 seconds the engine will roar to life and take off unpredictably. (This unpredictable nature is why my wife refuses to drive my car currently) While this is happening I can see on my boost gauge that I'm pushing 8-9psi sometimes. (I'm tuned for around 16) 
The issue started 2 years ago when the turbo started over boosting sporadically and throwing check engine codes for it. I ran a log through my access port and found it was boosting up to 2-3 PSI over what it was tuned for and throwing the codes. Eventually this stopped happening (and hasn't happened in a year and a half or so) and was replaced by the cars current problem of not always wanting to go when I put the pedal down for that 5-15 seconds. (It's almost like the feeling of driving with a blown turbo if you can relate to that but the turbos isn't blown) If I'm driving around and I ride the car pretty hard for about 10-15 minutes I can get it working right so I'm thinking something might be sticking/stuck. My initial thought was the turbo wastegate. I have a BNR Evo 3 16g that I bought new 4ish years ago. But now I'm debating with myself that it could be an issue with the throttle. 
Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. I finally have my own garage and can start checking off items on my repair list. 

P.S. I recently got an oil evaluation from Blackstone labs and they said my engine was in great shape

• 1 month later...

I'M AN IDIOT!

I wanted to update this thread because I found out what the issue was. I'm kinda embarrassed but hopefully my shame can save somone else some grief later on. Also as a side note I ruled out the accelerator/pedal sensor being the issue by replicating it with cruise control turned on and it still not accelerating properly. 

My automatic transmission fluid was over filled causing issues with shifting into the proper gear. This was resulting in a serious lack of power and inconsistent acceleration. It would also suddenly shift into gear resulting in me randomly taking off unexpectedly. 

Story time for those who love laughing at my shame:

When I replaced my engine 50k ago we thought I had a small transmission leak. I'm guessing we just wernt reading the stick properly and after adding tranny fluid a few times it didn't read low anymore so I stopped checking. I was racking my brain the other day when I suddenly realized that I haddent checked the tranny in a really long time. I thought 1 of 2 things. It was either super low causing issues or (and more likely because if I had had a leak for that long unchecked my tranny probably would have combusted by now) it was over filled. Sure enough a quick check confirmed that I've been driving with an overfilled tranny for the last 40-50k like a total dumbass. After checking my records (I keep a spreadsheet with all my maintainace on it) I saw that I was pretty much due for a tranny service anyway so I went and had the fluid flushed and installed a new filter.

Holy crap my car is alive again! It's so peppy and quick I forgot how much power it used to have! I ordered a bunch of parts to fix up all my small issues and even cleaned up my engine bay a bit. I'm excited to drive it again which makes me feel so much more stupid for having overlooked a simple thing. I figure most of the LGT fans here drive manuals so the fact I'm driving an auto makes me laughable at baseline but I love my car and am happy to have the power back. 

Edited by Yamon234
  • Like 3