LegacyGT.com

Anyone gone to a high-output alternator?

MDSubie4

Anyone go to larger amp alternator for sound system?  What did you go with and amperage?  Did you have any issues? I've heard something in the Outback forum that our alternators are computer driven and the extra amperage may not be accepted or utilized due to some sensor going to the negative battery post...idk, I'm not an eletronics expert suffice it to say. 

There have been several, it's just the holidays and traffic to the forums is way down right now.

I've never had enough stereo to need a higher amp, but it looks like there are options that would work.

Here is a two pager that confirmed a 140 and 160amp alternator that would work.

180amp alternator for our Legacy

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/products/13829-180-hp-subaru-legacy-2000-2-5l-h4?rq=yr_2005~mk_subaru~md_legacy~le_2-5l

There are a number of other options, people will chime in as they return from holidays.

What do you want to know?  Yes, the cars can utilize an HOA.  The regulating is done within the alternator. You bypass all OEM when you run your 0g wire from the alt to the battery. Maniac motors is no longer producing HOA to iirc.  So, the big boys are all that's left.  Not cheap, but the only way to provide juice for bass. I also recommend dual batteries. 

• Like 1