LegacyGT.com

Automatic transmission cooling line leak( dipstick reading)

Recently I found a leak in my transmission cooling line. ( nothing serious just one of rubber hoses needs to be replaced)

I am curious about transmission fluid level. When car is cool and I haven't start my car yet, dipstick shows that it's full( cold) but once I start my car and check fluid level as manual says.( Engine is on and and transmission is set in parking position) while car is still cold, dipstick is dry like there is no fluid at all. I have this leak for a while, and I add some fluid periodically through the pipe where dipstick is placed (I use funnel) to be sure that it has at least something in there.

Here I should mention that there is no driving issues, transmission works like a clock.

Does it mean that there is actually not enough fluid in my transmission?

Proper way to check ATF level is to start with the vehicle at operating temperature. Park on a level surface and go through every gear, pausing for a moment in each one before returning to park. Now check the fluid level.  If you're at cold full when the car is cold cold cold, your fluid level is probably fine.

When you replace the lines, depending on how fast you are, an ounce or two might drip out