LegacyGT.com

Trailer Hitch

2023 Legacy XT, wondering if a trailer hitch is available for the 7th Gen Legacy.  Checking with U-Haul, they indicated there is no hitch available for that model.  Not interested in towing, just transporting bikes with a hitch mounted bike rack.  Have any owners of 7th Gen mounted a hitch and if so, what brand works.

When I go back a year or two earlier from 2023, all of the major hitch manufacturers make a hitch for the Legacy, just not Subaru.  It is just a matter of time before they pop up for the 2023 year.  Chances are the 2020 onward hitches will fit the 2023 model as there have been no changes (to my knowledge) in the rear bumper and facia anatomy.  I just hope to see one sooner than later.

• 2 weeks later...

I put an EcoHitch on my 2016 3.6r just after I bought it.  They make them for the 7th gen as well.  Mine is a 1-1/4" receiver type for bike racks, and the dealer had no problem with it for warranty mainly because the smaller receiver isn't for towing big trailers.   These are more expensive than the typical U-Haul install, but they make three models that even include a completely hidden unit (so you can't tell it's there unless you attach the receiver - keeps your Legacy looking stock.   Just another option.   I installed it myself.   

https://torkliftcentral.com/select-ecohitch-style?vid=6826

• Like 1

Back when I bought mine, the only one was the "hidden" version.   Even that is pretty slick with only the receiver visible.  The whole thing sits behind the bumper cover so you never see the bar.   Anyway, I've been happy with mine for 7 years.   If I were buying today, I'd get the Stealth version.

IMG_1577.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I installed a Draw-Tite 76332 Class III hitch and now am regretting it bigly. Should have gone with the hidden hitch option, which was more expensive and allows you to remove the receiver. The Draw-Tite is a nicely made hitch but it sits too low and the received scratches the ground every time I leave my driveway or back into it.  It would work for the Outback with its clearance but does not work for our cars. I am thinking of just removing it and selling it before it gets completely destroyed and ponying up for the right hitch.

With the hidden hitch and the receiver in place, would you not be faced with the same dilemma, which is to say the receiver is going to occupy the same position as the Draw-Tite.  Thus I do not see the clearance issue going away .

23 minutes ago, fourD2 said:

With the hidden hitch and the receiver in place, would you not be faced with the same dilemma, which is to say the receiver is going to occupy the same position as the Draw-Tite.  Thus I do not see the clearance issue going away .

:( if that's the case. Any other options that help solve the clearance issue? There is no stealth EcoHitch option for the Legacy, only Hidden (meaning no removable receiver, which would have sort of solved this problem as I would mount the receiver with the mounted bike rack after exiting the driveway). 

Edited by dohturdima

• 1 month later...

I've got a '23 Legacy Touring XT and got this EcoHitch Hidden Trailer Hitch Receiver installed at a local shop recently: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Legacy/2023/EH36RR.html?VehicleID=20236004107

It doesn't have any clearance issues since from the side it doesn't hang down any. Would that work for you?

(I too use it for a bike rack)

hitch_rear.jpg

hitch_side.jpg

On 7/17/2023 at 10:41 PM, InfiniteLoop90 said:

I've got a '23 Legacy Touring XT and got this EcoHitch Hidden Trailer Hitch Receiver installed at a local shop recently: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Legacy/2023/EH36RR.html?VehicleID=20236004107

It doesn't have any clearance issues since from the side it doesn't hang down any. Would that work for you?

(I too use it for a bike rack)

hitch_rear.jpg

hitch_side.jpg

Thank you for sharing  - the EcoHitch lis definitely ositioned higher than my DrawTite, and will likely not bottom out (if there was an extra inch or two of clearance I would not have any problems). I think I will bite the bullet and get the EcoHitch as the replacement, as constant bottom-outs have caused the bottom part of the receiver to wear down and eventually it will completely wear away. 

• Like 1