LegacyGT.com

Electrical grounding upgrade?

If I were to upgrade ground cables on my 2006 Outback XT, can someone layout the path the ground wires take?  I know the battery ground cable goes to the drivers side of the engine under the intercooler, but where else does it run so that it terminates on the frame rail?

I've been having electrical issues with my car such as misfires and a non charging battery.  Car runs but not very well.  I want to upgrade all of the ground connections I can.  Any pointers?

There are two straps on either side of the bottom of the block that go to either frame rail, and also another ground wire that goes from the top of the block (under the intercooler) to where the pitch mount attaches. Take a look at @Max Capacity's post. That's 3 straps. This is a good video to watch, even if you don't but their grounding kit, just so you understand grounding a little better.

• Thanks 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Awesome, thanks!  I really feel like my car has grounding issues.  Misfires, dim headlight (on one side), battery not charging, etc.  At least ground remedies are fairly cheap to try.  I did notice some of the ground wires, where they connect to the ring connector, have corrosion.  Worth a shot.

Dang.  I just looked at the price on that iWire kit ($150).  I think i can probably roll my own for way cheaper.

I crawled under the care this afternoon to look at the ground straps that connect the engine to the frame rails.  The driver's side is pretty corroded (blue) and I couldn't see the passenger side.  If that's missing it could account for some of the weirdness I'm experiencing.

• 7 months later...

I am running a new 4 gauge wire from my alternator to the battery as part of a larger project to run new chassis grounds in the engine bay.  For the positive alternator cable to the battery, do I need to install a fuse between?  I have some car audio wiring stuff and have an inline fuse @ 60 amps.  Should I install this 60 amp fuse between the alternator and the battery, or just run the cable without, and not worry about it?  What would you do?