LegacyGT.com

New North American Map Update for '20-23 Legacy 11-9-2022

FYI, a new map update was recently released on Nov 9, 2022. I installed onto a USB with the downloader app on my mac (Monterey, which had a problem finding the USB drive in May from last update but works ok now!) Like the last update, it needs another unique activation code which you get by clicking on the activation code link in the updater, it opens a web page that you enter your request code for your vehicle (found under settings/navigation/software update on the infotainmement system in the car), it then generates a code that you can print out and bring to the car when you hit the install command from the map update, it will bring up a keyboard to enter this activation code.

Kind a pain but it looks like it's dowloading ok now, probably will take the better part of an hour. Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Edited by Jeff in Cleve

I had to get the code from the vehicle last time back in the summer. This time I connected my car to my phone’s hotspot and downloaded the maps I wanted over the air. I only did two states, Maryland and Virginia and the whole process took less than 15 minutes total. A much easier and simpler way to do this unless you need all of North America which would require the usb method. 

I doubt I would pay $150 for a single update. If you do it yourself, It took me a total of maybe 45 min to download onto the USB and another 40-45 min to install in car, it's not very difficult, but if you are not comfortable doing tech stuff, remember there is still the smartphone interface which I think works really well, I use Apple Carplay and both the Apple and Google maps GPS are a good alternative. Very rarely, I did experience outage or "hiccup" that needed a reboot, but overall pleased.

5 minutes ago, subiext said:

My local dealer has a person employed who will do the update for a paltry $150.00 and takes 3 hours.  Is this really worth it?

Absolutely not!! If you have to have all of North America there is a map-updater software that you can install from Subaru’s Maps site and then install on your car by usb. For me the download and installation to the usb takes about 35 minutes. The installation to my car takes 30-45 minutes. However currently I only need one or two states, my home state Maryland mainly. That took 2 minutes to download to the car and 20 seconds to install. Just connect your car’s WiFi to your home WiFi or to your phone’s hotspot as I did. I went to a location that I know has a fast cellular connection. Very easy to do. 

• 4 months later...

The person at the dealer who was to charge me $150 for the GPS update is no longer employed.  They now have a tech guy who will do it for me at no charge.  Apparently, the update I attempted did not take.