LegacyGT.com

Fuel line clamp by oil filler tube

So finally last night I had a strong gas smell while driving.  Got home and of course everything was warm and no leak to be seen.  This morning I primed the pump and of course in the cold, the fuel leaked out of the little rubber hose behind the fuel filler EDIT: Oil filler tube.  Getting to the screw is a pain in the you-know-what but I think I have a plan.  Was also thinking of picking up a small bit of hose in case I need to replace the hose, but externally the hose looks to be in fine condition with no cracks or splits, so I don't know what the likelihood is of there being a problem with the hose.

If I do have to replace it, can I just use any standard 40psi fuel hose?  I see the system runs at 43psi so I don't know if it's a 'nominal' rating or not, or if I need something else.

I was quite surprised at how loose the bolt in that clamp was.   I don't have the tools to get it tight tonight, but I'm also concerned about over-tightening it. Any guide here?  I don't have a 1.1 ft-lb torque wrench :D 

Edited by ssbtech

the fuel leaked out of the little rubber hose behind the fuel filler.

I guess your talking about one of he evap lines, on that small black valve on the fuel filler tube. 

DSCN7718.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nah, sorry, it's the one you have in your other picture with the safety wire under, the first little rubber hose on the supply as it supplies fuel to the driver side injectors.

I have one of these tiny little wrenches (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-bit-wrench-set-29-pc-0588626p.html) and was able to snug it up a little bit, but the hose clamp bolt was pressing against the TGV at the angle I needed.  Still wasn't snug enough as it dribbled during priming of the pump.  Going to figure out something else today.

How tight do these things need to be?  I went from "not a problem" to "a few milliliters dribbling out on priming the pump" seemingly overnight after about a week of colder (above freezing) weather.  The screw was definitely not snug when I went to loosen it, but not loose enough that I could rotate the clamp.