LegacyGT.com

I broke down and talked to Bilstein

ping

I talked to the Bilstein factory (they happen to be across the street from my work place) in San Diego, enquiring about struts for a Legacy GT. I started with 'enquiring', but I progressively lost self-respect in my methods.

Fat lot of good it did. To make a long story short:

1) They have no plans to market either plain struts/dampers or a coilover set. (more on this)

2) "We need a 'major' distributor to step up and say they have got orders for 200-300 sets to kick start development". That's one mother of a GB.

3) Subaru 'owns' their range of struts/dampers, cannot go around factory (hey I was trying)

4) (In apparent contradiction to 1, he mentioned to me much later in our conversation, and likely just to get me off the horn) They are "evaluating German market (DDM?:icon_bigg ) struts" for US applications.

But hey, he said he was going to mention he got another 'Subaru' phone call to his keepers. You could do the same and call in!

In my previous life, I did not realize how easy I had it: My E36 had not 1, but 2 choices of monotube shocks.

Cheers

Sumant

Yeah, well, they make them for the Legacy GT here in Japan - ask them if they realize that they would fit. BTS and other systems, they are finally advertising them. About $1400 and up, though.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com | www.sevenphotos.com | www.scoobymag.com

I did suggest they could provide one of the many trim levels offered over in Japan, they shuttered that angle with a 'oh those parts are owned by Subaru. You'll have to go to Subaru'. Bastiges.

Archived