LegacyGT.com

Moon roof drain locations and unclogging.

Anyone had to undergo this endeavor?  Pretty sure the driver side rear drain is clogged and causing some water to leak on the headliner.  Pounding away on the google machine reveals the drain should be in the right rear wheel well (say that five times fast) under the bumper.  I would rather not take off the bumper.  Hoping I can peel away enough interior panels to at least see the tube and jimmy something. 

Not yet. I've been dealing with wiper fluid hoses disintegrating. Snapped two mount points on the rear hatch top getting to the rear window section that burst.

Totally understand not wanting to take the plastic bits off if you don't need to.

• Like 1

I looked into this a bit earlier, but was reluctant to reply without solid info. From what I saw, the sunroof drain should be one of the two locations I circled in red. The first silver pic is a 2005-2009 wagon, and the second pic is from a 2003 outback. It looks like the sunroof drains are very likely in the same location on both gens, and I don't think you should have to remove the rear bumper to get to them. Might be able to remove a few clips from the fender liner and reach around, or remove the plastic shield below and go up

drains.jpg

outback.jpg

Edited by apexi

Gonna try and tackle this over the weekend.  From the parts diagram, we have two drains on the wagons, driver front, and driver rear.  I am confident the driver rear is the culprit, because the water stain on the headliner starts at the rear pillar and moves outward, and I believe the drain tube runs down in/along the pillar to rear wheel well somewheres.  I'll try going through the wheel well first to see if I can find anything then start going at interior panels.  Also watched a youtube of a guy that used Liquid Plumbr to get at a clog, but that scares me.  I'm pretty sure I looked at that thread on the Outback forums.

Edited by Chronuss