LegacyGT.com

Interior Lights Question

When I open the doors, the only lights that come on are the ones on the corners of the doors.  Seems like there ought to be lights inside the car that come on, too.

What lights are supposed to come on inside the car when the doors are opened?

My wagon has that huge sunroof thing so no place for a traditional dome light, just the map lights up front above the rear view mirror.  Should those come on?  Anything else?  Thanks!

My 07 has a dome light over the rear seats….which doesn’t work except when I take it apart…I get it to work, then when putting things back together, it quits again.

Apparently we both have wagons.  My rear hatch also has a rear dome light.  The manual switch works, but not the “auto” setting where opening the hatch would trigger it.  

and yes, it would be great if some light in front would also come on when doors are opened.  I believed that was addressed later on (08 or 09?), but would require some sort of hack to get to work on 07 or prior.  I used to have an 09, with several “improvements.”  It was a vanilla OB, but I was surprised at what I lost trading it in on an 07 XT.  

Well, I feel like a total idiot now.  There *is* a dome light over the rear seats.  I don't know how I didn't see it before.... LOL.  I'll take it apart to see what's going on as it doesn't work at all.

I'll look for that hatch light, too.  I'm sure it's there if yours has it, I just never actually saw it.

I wonder how hard it would be to add some footwell lights in the front?  I'm going to have the interior pretty well stripped down soon to install stereo and sound deadening stuff, maybe I can find the dome light wiring and tap into that.

If you are going aftermarket you have tons of options , nearly limitless .

Not long ago someone and here took on a similar project .

There is lots of light controllers that can be triggered a bunch of ways and stay on for a preset amount of time 

You might be able to run an inline tap on the dome light wiring to a relay to power other lights, but in my experience on a few different cars , ecus, and control modules get weird when you tap into their wiring 

• Like 1