LegacyGT.com

Noob Introduction and a couple of questions

Hey All,

Just picked up a new '05 LGT Ltd wagon (red, standard) and I am enjoying the car immensely.

A few comments:

- The car is annoyingly hard to get into reverse at times, easy at other times. The only reason that this bugs me is that my '93 saturn (which this car is replacing) only did this once in a blue moon. It seems that the LGT does this at least once every couple of days. Searching around the forums, I have found others commenting on this, but I was curious if this is something I should mention to the dealer or consider normal?

- The car is scary fast, to the point where I don't think I will ever get the cobb tuning STI software re-map. Perhaps I am getting old (36 next week) but the car plenty fast for me.

- Fuel mileage is kinda crappy for a 2.5l four, but in line with any mid-size V6 sedan save the accord hybrid. Besides, where's the fun in driving this car like miss daisy?

- I have already installed some snow tires and rims on the car, as we get a fair amount of snow in the great white north, having gone through one storm on the RE92's, I have to say that if driven gingerly, it performs quite well. If driven less than gingerly, the tail can be fun or a handful depending on your driving situation.

- Fair amount of gear whine from 1st and second under acceleration - Normal? (could not find this in forum searches).

- Anyone out there driven in 20 degree (-10c) weather with red-line 75w90ns? has your cold shifting improved enough to justify the cost? Red-line seems to be the only synth-diff-lube I can get up here that meets GL5 without friction modifiers.

- Anyone out there with the wagon and the Montana-sized sunroof experience a decent amount of wind-noise from the front of the roof to-body seal? I don't expect it to be as quiet as the no-roof cars, but man, that's a fair bt of noise at 65-70mph.

Suabru's are fairly costly up here with the exchange, My LGT wagon LTD went out the door at cost plus $200, with the $1000 rebate kept by the dealer. The car was still $37500. That being said, It's still a bargain compared to the A4 avant, and beats the versatility of the Mazdaspeed 6 for less money, and a better AWD.

Going to order the Kartboy shifter and bushings shortly, and will likely get the (slight rip off) center console armrest extender-thingy.

anyone out there installed and aftermarket boost/turbo gauge? I am looking at the Greddy 52mm unit with pod in black, but I am not sure if you can change the illuumination from green to red to match the interior illumination. The ommission of a factory gauge or available accessory is just Silly IMHO.

Call me anal, but I have disabled the clutch switch, and can now start the car in neutral. I hate thrust bearing wear on startup. (BTW-do not attempt this unless you want the car to lurch into things/people - I am not endorsing this mod, just informing that it can be done)

Any other comments or caveats from you fine folks?

Thanks in advance for your time!

-Adam

Suabru's are fairly costly up here with the exchange, My LGT wagon LTD went out the door at cost plus $200, with the $1000 rebate kept by the dealer. The car was still $37500. That being said, It's still a bargain compared to the A4 avant, and beats the versatility of the Mazdaspeed 6 for less money, and a better AWD.

Welcome. I didn't have time to read your post thoroughly, but are you talking Canada money? If not, that seems real steep.

First and formost, Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family. You will enjoy the car immensly(sp?).

$37500...Canadian?? Gods i hope so!

If you want a gauge that matches the stock one then take a look at Defi. Those guages are rather pricey but to me they are well worth the xtra money.

I get wind-noise on my Sedan from the smaller sunroof too.

I just turned 31 and believe me that you will be getting the Cobb or Whomever tune eventually. RESISTANCE IS USELESS! =P

$37500...Canadian?? Gods i hope so!

Yeah, the funds are in $CDN

Directly with exchange, that gets to roughly $31700USd for a Legacy GT Ltd wagon - thats about list in the US, No?

There are some cars up here that are cheaper with the exchange (IE anything built here in Ontario) and cars that are more expensive (Almost anything imported). The legacy (and all Subaru's) are more expensive even with the exchange. Doesn't matter. I love the car and don't mind spending the extra bux. Besides, Getting a US spec car and importing it costs about as much in duties and additional taxes.

EDIT - Oh yeah, that includes destination charges ($1200 up here) but before taxes (15%).

I remember when the STI first came out it was retailing for $50,000cdn. The price has dropped some since, but not much.

1 Reverse; All standards I've owned did this. Simply slide into first (or any gear) let clutch out, then back into reverse. Should go no problem at that point.

2,. Gear whine; Normal. This car has straight cut first and second gears which translates into more noise. Look around here and you'll see some pics of this.

3. Moonroof; I've got the Limited and I don't notice much wind noise. In fact I'm always shocked at how I can crank down the freeway (60-80) with it totally open and only feel a gentle breeze on my forehead. You might have a problem here.

Enjoy the car.

Reverse is tougher than most standards I've driven. As mentioned, go to other gear and try again. Also works if the car moves just a little bit.

Gear whine is normal, loud in 1st, 2nd, somewhat noticable in 3rd.

Car may feel scary fast now, give it time... :D Thinking around 320WHP will be my limit. Tough now at around 240WHP to find spots where WOT can last more than a few seconds and keep things legal on the road.

I did a lot of searching for gear lubes... Redline had mixed reviews over on NASIOC. Went with a boutique company, Speciality Formulations, for my synthetic 75W90 synthetic that meets GL5 specs. Why? The only stuff I found to either a) not make a difference b) improve things greatly c)not make things worse

Finally, nice transmission choice, body style AND color!

-B

- The car is scary fast, to the point where I don't think I will ever get the cobb tuning STI software re-map. Perhaps I am getting old (36 next week) but the car plenty fast for me.

Heh, heh, heh. Famous last words. Can we regirgitate this quote for you when you start asking about mods in about 6 months? :icon_bigg

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. The LGT is a great car!

Heh, heh, heh. Famous last words. Can we regirgitate this quote for you when you start asking about mods in about 6 months? :icon_bigg

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. The LGT is a great car!

Well, we'll see, feel free to make fun of me if I start asking about Stage2/3 etc, but given my daily commute (60mi each way) I am concentrating on fuel economy right now.

I have managed mostly highway runs of 23mpg, not bad in my estimation, given that the car is still breaking in (3000km now). I do miss my old Saturn (wagon) in one respect, yeah it was gutless, but it would give 35mpg easy in highway commuting. Well, thats the price for being able to beat almost anything off the line...

-Getting into reverse gets easier with time, at least I am finding that out.

-Gas mileage does suck. I get ~17-18 MPG all the time.

-The accleration from 70 to 110 is great!

-Boost is addicting.

That is all, and yeah welcome.

X

---

I had Redline 75w90NS in my WRX transmission and had no problems with it in cold weather. It worked just fine and made shifting marginally smoother.

That's what I was looking for, mainly cold weather improvement. I'm not as fussy over shift quality, (although I would not want it to be reduced) more about reduced cold weather viscosity.

Did you put in the tranny and rear diff?

Thanks.

Archived