LegacyGT.com

Rattle from rear window

turboman38

I've only noticed 2 "strange" sounds in my car, one of which was the glovebox door. Seemed like there wasn't enough tension against the latch when it was closed, so it rattled when going over bumps. I added some self-adhesive rubber pads near the latch to take up the space and that cleared it up except for when it is really cold out, and then it goes away once the car warms up.

The other noise seems like it comes from the front passenger seat. I think it is just the seatbelt buckle hitting the side of the seat when I go over bumps, but not sure. Don't seem to notice it when someone is in the passenger seat with the seatbelt on.

The other noise seems like it comes from the front passenger seat. I think it is just the seatbelt buckle hitting the side of the seat when I go over bumps, but not sure. Don't seem to notice it when someone is in the passenger seat with the seatbelt on.

My passenger noise is the seatbelt height adjustment piece hitting the rest of the B-pillar trim. It only happens when the belt is slack, i.e. no passenger. I initially though it was the buckle but after isolating that possibility, the noise continued.

ignore him, he'll go away.

In my 06 sedan is was actually the headliner. I foled a small piece of paper a few times, and inserted it between the headliner and the roof, dead center over the rear window. Rattle/rubbing noise solved, makes me feel good, because the rattle in a brand new $30K car was driving me nuts. Hope this helps others.

My new 05 had the EXACT same rattle, and I fixed it the EXACT same way. I just picked it up yesterday, I'm going to bring it back and see if they can fix it. It looks kinda weird to have a napkin stuffed into the headliner in my new $30k car.

The front is directly in front of the steering column. I can press my hand down and silence it... but it seems deeper than just rubbing on the glass.

Yesterday my dealer fixed my dash rattle.

The mechanic applied felt tape were the dash & windshield meet and to the A pillar molding.

Did they just stick it in the gap, or did they take the dash apart a bit to get it down inside a bit? Just curious as I have some rattle there, but there is about a 1/4-inch gap between the dash and the window near the corner. I've got some sorbothane wedged in there that helps my rattle, but it still surfaces from time to time.

I too have a strange noise when going over bumps, just like see_obxt has. When i put a wash-spunge inbetween the rear hatch and the right side rearlights it's dead silent. Subaru replaced the plastic panel towards the lights, but the sound is still there. My guess is that the list is to weak so the hatch knocks on the plastic panel/body....

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I too have this noise issue. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet due to lack of faith in them fixing it. I tried your sponge idea today and the noise is gone. At least I don't have to listen to it while I figure out my next step

If you get a final resolution please post it.

• 3 weeks later...

zman, glad I could help, i'm working on fixing the problem. So far i have done this

1. Put some adhesive foam where the panels meet the chassi. No difference

2. Replaced the plastic panel towards the right backlight. No difference

3. Replaced the hatch damper (maby the wrong word but hey, i'm swedish...). No difference.

4. The dealer is scratching his head to come up with a next step.

My suggestion to the dealer is to try and adjust the hatch (if possible). It might be some small miss-alignment that make the hatch smack the panels.

Anyone tried something else?

The dealer re-aligned the rear hatch and the sound went away almost complete. In some major bumps i can hear it, but it is something i can live with. The rear hatch is now somewhat harder to close, but that is no problem.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
My 05 LGT has some double-stick foam tape that helps hold the headliner to the roof. When its cold, the tape is less sticky and comes partialy unglued. Mine sounds like a cracking/rattle sound as the tape sticks and unsticks to the metal. I would just push up the on the areas with tape to restick...

I have had the same rear window rattle for weeks, especially in the cold. Luckily, NOT, the rattle is now gone.

I got in the car last night after work and noticed what appeared to be ice all over the rear window. Unfortunately, there was none on the other windows, so I got out to investigate further. The rear window had shattered! There was nooooo sign of any attempt criminally to do so. NO rocks laying around, no 'indentations' on the window, no other damage to the car. WIERD.

Sooo, off to the dealer I go to see what THEY say.

Film at 11.

Yea me too still got the noise and it's much worse at -10 degrees than above zero. Maby it is those small black knobs placed on the sides of the hatch inside? Anyone checked those?

I had a rattle coming from the back window on my GT sedan. It was more like a clicking noise than a rattle. I found somewhere that it was caused by the high mount brake light. Look in the trunk under the rear parcel shelf and you will see where the brake light hooks under the shelf. If you stick a bit of cardboard between the metal shelf and the plastic clip to tighten it up it should solve the problem.

I did this and it fixed the issue, although it did come back. I mentioned it to my dealer and I havnt heard the rattle/clicking since.

Hope this helps

Grant

• 9 months later...

I found the problem.

A small black knob, cone-shaped, with contact to the car body just above the rear lights, but it is attached to the hatch. You see it when you open the hatch. It makes a noise when driving bumpy roads.

Solution = make som damping material between knob and car body.

Archived