LegacyGT.com

Configuring an UltraGauge MX to display CVT fluid temperature

Over the years, some of us have used the UltraGauge scan tool to display "standard" OBD-II emission-related engine parameters in real time.  The UltraGauge MX also allows users to program displays for up to eight "custom" (i.e. manufacturer-defined) parameters, but until now no one has been able to get the coding for Subaru CVT fluid temperature to work. (Known-good codes used by ScanGauge did not translate to working UltraGauge code.)

Thanks to user "kabrokes" over on the Ascent Forum, we now have a working solution. Without further adieu, here's the "M-Gauge" coding for UltraGauge MX to display CVT fluid temperature:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subaru Legacy/Outback/Ascent CVT Fluid Temperature ("custom" PID = 10D2 hex)

(all values are hexadecimal)

TXD: 07E12210D2

Tctrl: 93

Rctrl: 31

MTCH: 6210D2

Rpos: 2008

X: 0001

/: 0001

+: FFCE

L/R: 01

Output: 00 for Celsius, 10 for Fahrenheit

I have tested this coding on my UltraGauge MX (v1.3), and it works on both my 2015 Legacy and my 2016 Outback (both with TR580 CVTs), and it is known to work on Ascents with TR690 CVTs, so I infer that it will probably work for all MY 2015-2019 Legacys (Gen 6) and Outbacks (Gen 5) as well. In initial testing, the temperatures displayed on my UltraGauge track perfectly with those reported by ActiveOBD, from ~77 F to >158 F.

There are other CVT parameters that the UltraGauge MX should be able to display as well. I will try to post them in this thread as new PIDs are discovered and tested.

UltraGauge_CVT_Temp_0289.JPG

• Thanks 1

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

UltraGauge MX v1.4 provides support for the "standard" Engine Oil Temperature PID (5C), while v1.3 does not. UltraGauge will update your MX  from v1.3 to v1.4 for a nominal charge (currently $3.00), but it has to be done in their shop. Alternatively, you can just program Engine Oil Temperature as a "custom" gauge, which is what I did. Here is the code:

Engine Oil Temperature ("standard" PID = 5C hex)

(all values are hexadecimal)

TXD: 07DF015C

Tctrl: 82

Rctrl: 21

MTCH: 415C

Rpos: 1808

X: 0001

/: 0001

+: FFD8

L/R: 01

Output: 00 for Celsius, 10 for Fahrenheit

UltraGauge_Oil_Temp_0290.JPG

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Hey, do you know if this gauge or any other OBD tools besides SSM will allow you to access the rear brake function where it retracts the pistons for you?

Ive been able to wiggle them off and then screw it in but wiggling them off is both challenging and it scratches up the face of the piston so I'd rather have the computer retract them, but I don't have access to nor do I want the SSM.

I'm not aware of any consumer-grade scan tool that will do that. The UltraGauge definitely will not. (N.B. Reportedly, there are some professional scan tools that will put the rear brakes in "Service Mode," but provide no way to return them to "normal" mode when you're through. Isn't that special!)

• Thanks 1

spacer.png