LegacyGT.com

Designed a exhaust, any takers?

wukilla98

I was bored today, so I designed an exhaust for the GT w/ a tip style that non else seems to have created. My inspiration was the Porsche Boxter MK1, non-S model exhaust which also had an oval cutout, albeit it was located in the middle of the bumper.

Please note, the picture kind of got distored in resizing to meet uploading specs. It not chunky as it looks here....

Any comments?

Exhuast.pdf

looks good, although it seem smore the style that i'd expect to see on a pontiac than a subaru.

It would probably fit up into the exhaust cutouts in the bumper nicely.

so you do CAD for a living? not to many people carrying around Solidworks on their personal machines.

looks good, although it seem smore the style that i'd expect to see on a pontiac than a subaru.

It would probably fit up into the exhaust cutouts in the bumper nicely.

so you do CAD for a living? not to many people carrying around Solidworks on their personal machines.

...haha...know that you mention it, guess it is a lil' Pontiac-ish...

yea, i'm mech. eng/cad expert.. If anyone here needs help designing something on CAD please feel free to ask, I usually love the challange... and i'll prob. do it for free...

as to having solidworks on my own comp. amazing what you can find on the net....

I know solidworks, I had to use it for an engineering design class. Too bad I'm transferring out of engineering. It was interesting, but somehow it's just not gonig to work out.

Btw...guessing your PSU?..... I went to Lehigh...

Hahah...belive me i wanted to too, I work at a pretty hardcore engineering place, and probably use 10% of what I probably learned at school. Just getting through is the tough part... Then again, engineering isn't really glamarious as it use to be, shit i'd rather be an invetment banker or something, live it up like the movie 'Boileroom.' Gallardo-S here I come..

Btw...guessing your PSU?..... I went to Lehigh...

Hahah...belive me i wanted to too, I work at a pretty hardcore engineering place, and probably use 10% of what I probably learned at school. Just getting through is the tough part... Then again, engineering isn't really glamarious as it use to be, shit i'd rather be an invetment banker or something, live it up like the movie 'Boileroom.' Gallardo-S here I come..

Yeah, I go to PSU. Math is killing me, and although some of my classes interest me, the work does not. I'm switching over to Economics. :D

It sucks when you have to sit in front of SolidWorks >8 hours a day which is what I'm about to do in 2 hours.

Are you involved in SAE Mini Baja or Formula SAE?

If you have exp. other CAD packages, you appreciate the ease of use of Solidworks...it really is a well designed program.

If you have exp. other CAD packages, you appreciate the ease of use of Solidworks...it really is a well designed program.

I think a lot of it depends on what you're used to and learned on...

A lot of guys here that I work with prefer to use AutoCAD over solidworks becuase you can do almost everything from the command line, rather than having to hunt through menus or find the button you're looking for on the menu bar.

solidworks seems much more powerful though.

why get a new exhaust...wouldnt a new tip just get that look (recessed join on the tip)...nice design...but how about the one from the 2005 911 turbo factory exhaust...2 circles joined together....they just look amazing!

why get a new exhaust...wouldnt a new tip just get that look (recessed join on the tip)...nice design...but how about the one from the 2005 911 turbo factory exhaust...2 circles joined together....they just look amazing!

I think the two circles joined togetehr works really well on the 911 because of very curvacious line of the cars itself are very much inline with that tip style. On the legacy I tought it might look as attractive, that design did cross my mind....

You couldn't pay me to use AutoCAD. I learn 3d modeling before I learn AutoCAD. I started with SDRC-IDEAS, then went to Pro/E, and now I'm using SolidWorks. I would rather pull out the mechanical pencil, Vemco track drafting machine, vellum, and deal with the ammonia from making real blueprints before I would use AutoCAD.

I still like Pro/E 2001, not Wildfire. The text based menus are so much more efficient.

SolidWorks 2006 stills has a lot of issues. From SW2001 to SW2006, they seem to have taken a few steps forward and a few steps back. Even with SW2006 sp2, there are things that they change from sp1 that is really stupid.

Instead of modeling it as a solid part, try doing it in sheetmetal. It's by far the most fustrating part of SW because of so many rules you have to follow. But realistically, exhaust stuff should be done as a sheetmetal part since if you make it, it would be sent to a sheetmetal house. Some of the less sophiscated place will use an unfolded drawing.

BTW, don't ever claim you are a CAD expert. There's no such thing. Plus it'll bite you in the ass in a job interview when they make you draw some crazy as stuff. I'm constantly learning new features in SW. Most of the stuff you end up doing isn't covered in any manuals either. I've even stump my VAR's tech support on a few occasions.

You couldn't pay me to use AutoCAD. I learn 3d modeling before I learn AutoCAD. I started with SDRC-IDEAS, then went to Pro/E, and now I'm using SolidWorks. I would rather pull out the mechanical pencil, Vemco track drafting machine, vellum, and deal with the ammonia from making real blueprints before I would use AutoCAD.

I still like Pro/E 2001, not Wildfire. The text based menus are so much more efficient.

SolidWorks 2006 stills has a lot of issues. From SW2001 to SW2006, they seem to have taken a few steps forward and a few steps back. Even with SW2006 sp2, there are things that they change from sp1 that is really stupid.

Instead of modeling it as a solid part, try doing it in sheetmetal. It's by far the most fustrating part of SW because of so many rules you have to follow. But realistically, exhaust stuff should be done as a sheetmetal part since if you make it, it would be sent to a sheetmetal house. Some of the less sophiscated place will use an unfolded drawing.

BTW, don't ever claim you are a CAD expert. There's no such thing. Plus it'll bite you in the ass in a job interview when they make you draw some crazy as stuff. I'm constantly learning new features in SW. Most of the stuff you end up doing isn't covered in any manuals either. I've even stump my VAR's tech support on a few occasions.

Yea I agree w/ u on AutoCAD, once you've used 3-D, it's like taking 10 steps backwards to do something in 2-D, I use SDRC-IDEAS everyday, SolidWorks on the side...

Archived