LegacyGT.com

Engine Replacement

2015 Legacy 2.5 with 168k miles. It's getting tired and hear a knock / rattle on acceleration at times.   I want a new legacy but they are too damn expensive yet I will have the cash for long block engine replacement. I live in western NY.  

What would something like that cost at a dealership to be done ?  What's the warranty ?  The car doesn't have any rust. If the engine was new it will last a long time. 

Thanks 

Replacing the engine will be far cheaper than a new car. Just the short block is 2000-2500 from Subaru. And then the 20ish hours of labor to replace it. Best bet is call around to local Subaru independents and see if they'll quote you for the job.

Subaru extended their engine warranty on this motor to 100,000 but you're a bit beyond that.

4 hours ago, silverton said:

Subaru extended their engine warranty on this motor to 100,000 ...

Source? Miles or km?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

7 hours ago, ncted said:

Impressed a 2015 in Western NY has no rust.

Me too!

4 hours ago, ammcinnis said:

Source? Miles or km?

Miles.  It has to do with the oil consumption issues.  You'd have to check with a local dealer, I know mine was very strict with it; if you didn't have a service history with them they pretty much told you to kick rocks, but like I said... at 168k it doesn't apply.

Where in WNY? As a fellow WNY'er I may be able to recommend at least a trusty independent.  

I would put an engine it if needed but a few quick tests would tell you the condition of your existing power plant. How do you know you are hearing a knock? They don't really come and go.....