LegacyGT.com

front end intermittent clunking sound

So over the last few months it seems like an intermittent clunking noise from my front passenger side. It usually only does it over bigger bumps and I would say it only happens about 80% of the time during that scenario as well. Otherwise it doesn't seem like the car is driving any differently than normal and no obvious non consistent wear on tires.

I've searched the forums and found a variety of responses of folks with what appears to be a similar issue. I'm planning on taking a peek for anything obvious this weekend when I'm working on the car replacing the brake pads but was hoping I could get a few ideas on what to look for/areas to check and also figured that I should just make sure anything isn't simply just loose but I also don't want to overtighten anything but I have no records of how tight things should be. 

First, it would help to know what model year, engine, and trim your Legacy is.

Given only the information you posted above, I would think that the steering rack issue addressed in TSB 04-17-17R is the place to start. This is a relatively common issue in Gen 6 Legacys and Gen 5 Outbacks.

TSB_04-17-17R_Steering_Rattle_190820.pdf

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Good god, so sorry I missed all that critical information. its a 2015 4 cylinder limited with about 70k on it. If its the steering rack or ball joints or endlinks is there a way to tell that's the case by visual inspection?

Get the front wheels off the ground, grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and try to rock it back and forth. You'll feel the play if there is any. 12 and 6 is your wheel bearing test, other than the absolute roar they make when failing...

End links should not twist easily on their sockets.

• 1 month later...

I am having a similar issue.  @jessb_55 were you able to get this fixed?  If so, what ended up being the issue?

I have a 2018 2.5i limited with almost 70k miles.  I started with replacing the CV axel, when that didn't fix the issue, I tried changing the diff fluid, as I read that low or old diff fluid can sometimes resent as axel issues.  Neither of these have fixed my problem.  

Symptoms: intermittently when turning left (and only when turning left) there is anywhere from a vibration to a grinding noise/feel coming from the front passenger side.  Also, sometimes when driving on uneven pavement, it almost feels like the front right strut is bad.  I have jacked up the car, there is no play when rocking the wheel.   Nothing appears to be loose in the suspension either.  I am at a lose and am getting ready to take it in to see if I can get a diagnosis. 

hey @langm1 unfortunately I too wasn't able to find any play or anything loose so I gave up and brought it in and they couldn't hear the clunking noise and told me to bring it back once it's worse....😔

Sorry I can't help you out, but I'm hoping to get an update to all of you once I know. 

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

@jessb_55 I was just about to respond to the thread as well.  I replaced the wheel bearing last week and that fixed MOST of the issues I was having.  I still have a little vibration every now and again, which I think my driver's side wheel bearing also needs replacing.  I will look at changing ball joints as well.  Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, jessb_55 said:

The issue ended up being a bad ball joint! 

Thanks for following up. I'm glad to see you finally solved the problem.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png