LegacyGT.com

MAF issue possibly?

So yesterday I drove my car and it was driving fine, im in the process of fine tuning the maf sensor scaling so I have closed loop fuel disabled. Everything was good then I washed the car and then it started to idle rich and got really rich at wot. It through a P0103 code for Maf high voltage. I did a data log when the code popped up and you can see the engine load suddenly increase along with the maf voltage. I have the maf properly scaled so it doesn't max out at wot so this isn't normal. Then today the car seems to be better but still a little richer than it was the other day. I'm wondering if the car wash had something to do with it but I didn't get anything wet around the maf sensor. I was thinking the maf could also be going out but idk. Hopefully someone can give me some ideas on what the problem could be. It's just weird to me that I can see such a big fluctuation without changing anything on the tune or the car.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

Stock air box and filter or open sir element ricer style hot air intake? Wondering for carwash and tuning purposes.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have the ks tech big maf intake so it is open element but not a short ram hot air intake. I had it tuned so at wot it would be 0.75 lambda and the other day it was hitting 0.63 lambda and now it's a little closer at .71 lambda but it's still off. I'm probably going to do a leak test later but I still have a feeling the maf has something to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

**Problem Still Not Solved**

I want to give a little more background so hopefully my problem might be better understood

In April I installed a blouch 1.5xtr turbo, tomei uel header, and an IBR fuel rail and line setup. I tuned it up for the new setup on 91 octane and as best I can remember everything was working out fine. I switched to e85 and then I blew up my transmission so the car was down for about a month while I rebuilt the transmission. once the transmission was back in I ran through the rest of the e85 and went back to 91 so I wouldn't blow my transmission up again until I could get a 6 speed. when I switched back to 91 I started having issues were the car would run good some days and bad other days like it would become un tuned and then it would fix itself. As of recently the problem became worse so I decided to try and go through and re tune it the best I could. So i put the stock intake on and stock maf scaling table so that I could properly adjust the injector scaling and latency for the increased flow of the fuel rails because the stock rails were restricting the flow of my 1200cc injectors. once I finished that I put the KS Tech intake back on and tuned the maf sensor scaling and it was fine for the most part until what happened in the original post I made above. I don think water on the filter was the issue so i replaced the maf sensor and that didn't fix the problem so i decided to re tune the maf scaling thinking maybe i tuned it before with an air leak. all tuned it was running good and responding to the changes i made. let it sit for a week went to drive the car and the same exact issue is back. It runs about 15% rich at idle, cruise is okay just a little rich, and in boost it runs way rich and maxes out the Maf sensor. it normally idles at 1.22-1.24 V for the maf and  today it was idling at 1.34 V and the maf maxed out so it seems like for whatever reason it is coming out of calibration. I dont really know what to do next, I'm kind of thinking that the injector latencies and scaling may be messed up for whatever reason. I have a couple of ideas for things to try but nothing based on any scientific conclusion so any advise on what to try next would be very helpful. 

Mod List:

ej255 with 99.75mm Je forged pistons, Brian Crower Rods, STI Crank, Brian Crower stage 2 Cams, Valves, and double valve springs.

Ks Tech Big maf intake, Mishimoto Turbo Inlet, Blouch 1.5xtr, MAC 3 port boost controller, Grimspeed TMIC, TGV Deletes, Tomei UEL Header, Megan Racing Catless downpipe, custom cat back exhaust

IBR fuel rails and AN lines, E Flex Technologies flex fuel kit, Aeromotive FPR, Deatsch Works 1200cc injectors.

when i installed the turbo and fuel rails I deleted the evap purge valve and capped the nipple on the turbo inlet so the tank vent is to atmosphere, idk if that affects anything. 

So today I disabled the Closed loop fueling and the problem has gone away. This is leading me to believe that the issue may have something to do with an o2 sensor. When I installed my new header I put in a new denso O2 sensor because my original one was very stuck in my stock header. 

This is the link to the sensor I bought:

https://www.autozone.com/engine-management/oxygen-sensor/p/denso-exact-fit-oxygen-sensor-234-9120/259928_0_0 

When I log AF sensor 1 in romraider the values read match up with my AEM Wideband so I'm pretty sure the front is not the issue so I'm wondering if the rear o2 sensor is the problem. I'm just going to cruise around in open loop till i figure the problem out but is there any way that I can test the rear o2 sensor to see if that is my problem before I go buy a new one? I know I can set the correction range of the rear o2 sensor to zero so in theory it would disable the sensor but idk if the rear sensor can control other things that would cause the car to run rich.

• 1 year later...

I also run the kstech 73mm maf intake but I use a aem hydrophobic sleeve over the filter. I washed my car and took it out today and got this code too lol but I have a maf pigtail from iwire I'm going to splice in. Apparently these are a wear item. I did previously have issues with my maf wiring and during heavy rain parked outside sometimes my car dosent start unless I unplug my maf. Hope this helps.