LegacyGT.com

Compilation of weird/odd things/noises on our cars

So instead of creating a thread for every question about weird/odd noises, I decided to create this one.

Being that my ‘05 OBXT has over 214K miles, there’s a few things I’d like to ask about to those of you mechanical/suspension/transmission gurus.

Hopefully this thread will serve the purpose for those looking to solve those puzzling clunks, pops, grinding, hissing, etc noises..

I’ll start with a couple of mine..

1. Sometimes right after starting my car, it makes this hissing/grinding kinda noise and then it goes away.. Could this be a bad starter motor?

2. When driving, right in between braking and accelerating, I can hear a very subtle “cluck” type noise.. any ideas?

Please feel free to post/comment your helpful ideas on what could be.

Edited by RumblyXT

1. If that goes away a couple of seconds after the key is in "run" then yes, most likely the starter. There is a DIY on here for that.

2. grab your drive shaft, "propeller shaft" as Subaru calls it and see if there's play near the carrier bearing.

I seem to recall replacing my shaft about that mileage.

HERE's where I got my shaft from, https://driveshaftstore.com/Subaru-Legacy-Driveshaft-2005

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Since we’re at it, here’s a few more..

3. Right after filling up, the car has difficulty starting. I have to step on/hit the gas pedal a few times, then it will start. I researched this one, seems it could be the Vapor Canister Purge Valve.

4. Sometimes while backing up slowly and slightly turning the wheel left or right, the car simply shuts off, it’s done it a few times.

5. When making close left/U turns, there’s this grinding noise, best way I can describe it is like dragging a metal pipe on the floor/cement. Steering rack?

6. And finally, when making wide left turn, there’s clicking/clucking noises. Feels like it’s coming from the front left wheel. Left CV axle going bad?

Yeah, I got my work cut out for with this car

Not to mention it’s slight overheating issue lol

I’ve come to think it’s either a bad thermostat or a clogged radiator. Already working on that.

Edited by RumblyXT

My handbrake button rattles like crazy and I'm not ingenious enough to devise a fix for it. Might just shove some thin cotton or something there to make it stop as it drives me crazy. Also get wind noise from both the seal around the B-pillar/side window trim.

^^You might need to replace the window gussets, that's the noise comes to these cars at higher speeds. It happens after prolonged use of opening and closing the doors holding them by the glass.

I'm interesting on what the handbrake rattle could be.

My handbrake leather wrap came off.. lol my car is falling apart. Do you guys just use crazy glue for this?

^^You might need to replace the window gussets, that's the noise comes to these cars at higher speeds. It happens after prolonged use of opening and closing the doors holding them by the glass.

I'm interesting on what the handbrake rattle could be.

My handbrake leather wrap came off.. lol my car is falling apart. Do you guys just use crazy glue for this?

Already replaced one of the seals - the driver's side one. That made the noise mostly go away in the sense that I can just roll the window down briefly when on the freeway and back up and it's gone. Noise level in general is down.

The gussets probably do need to be replaced though, yeah.

And yes, gorilla glue or whatever and you're golden on the parking brake.

Any thoughts on what these could be?

3. Right after filling up, the car has difficulty starting. I have to step on/hit the gas pedal a few times, then it will start. Vapor Canister Purge Valve?

4. Sometimes while backing up slowly and slightly turning the wheel left or right, the car simply shuts off, it’s done it a few times.

5. When making close left/U turns, there’s this grinding noise, best way I can describe it is like dragging a metal pipe on the floor/cement. Steering rack?

6. And finally, when making wide left turn, there’s clicking/clucking noises. Feels like it’s coming from the front left wheel. Left CV axle going bad?

3. I think that's the cause, there was a thread here years about that issue. google the problem.

4. sorry, I recall my wagon doing that, once or twice, back about late 2009, I didn't fix anything, hasn't done it since.

5 &6, I would check that left CV axle. clicking noise is a CV joint going bad.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here