LegacyGT.com

Sun/moonroof motor replacement

Anyone replaced theirs? I’ve replaced several on other vehicles but never on one of our cars. It’s getting hot and I’m tossing around the idea of adding a couple dei-535t’s to my remove start to vent the sunroof and windows to combat the satanic heat of Arizona. Low and behold I try my sunroof and and motor is so weak it got stuck open and I had to manually close it. Just curious if anyone here has tackled the job or not

I haven't done anything to mine but had the exact same experience as you. Opened, didn't close. Luckily mine eventually sent the glass back to closed. But a few thoughts:

- Could the motor use some internal cleaning & greasing? I'm assuming it's weak due to dirty and weak contacts. That's how electrical motors get weak, right? I don't know I'm asking.

- Could the physical linkages and tracks use a good cleaning and greasing? I wonder if those are all sticky then it would present a tougher challenge for the motor to operate everything.

- I believe the motor is sold as a single piece. Not like the rest of the sunroof that's only available as a whole unit, or the fuel pump that you have to buy a new bucket and pump if you want to have a new fuel filter. Edit: https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Wagon/Sunroof-Motor/49276307/65450AG02B.html I feel like this wasn't $250 last time I looked 18 months ago...

The weather here is finally getting spring nice, so I've been missing my sunroof more and more. I was looking up at the headliner the other day not particularly excited I'd have to remove a ton of trim and then that if I even wanted to inspect the motor.

But I'm also curious about what the sunroof maintenance and/or repair job entails.

Edited by seanyb505

The motor is likely a brushed dc motor that will likely not be serviceable, and yes that’s how they get weak. The brushes wear and eventually have less contact and less powah.

Yes the tracks get dirty and cause drag which equates to more draw from the motor. Mine are clean and full of fresh snail butter so that’s not the case.

Yes the headliner will have to be dropped but that’s an easy job regardless of sedan, hatch, farrari or lamborghini. I guess I’ll be the first to post a how to for the motor replacement. I’ll have to clean the ole girl so she’ll look good in pictures