LegacyGT.com

Fuel Filter In-Line or In Tank?

A few years back the fuel pump in my '03 Legacy failed while on a trip and that was a problem I won't let happen again. My question is, as I was looking at RockAuto site today, they show 3 or 4 different in-line fuel filters for my current 2015 Legacy. I thought all the fuel filters were now inside the fuel tanks? Does the '15 Legacy have a fuel filter somewhere under the hood?

'15 Legacy Premium 4 cyl

154,000 miles

I thought all the fuel filters were now inside the fuel tanks? Does the '15 Legacy have a fuel filter somewhere under the hood?

The OE fuel filter for all Gen 6 Legacys (and Gen 5 Outbacks) is mounted in the tank, as part of the fuel pump assembly. There is no external, in-line fuel filter. Fuel pump failure in these cars seems to be extremely rare.

Maintenance is at your discretion, but IMO the filter should not require routine replacement as long as you're buying good-quality, name-brand fuel from moderate to high volume stations. Seller participation in the "Top Tier" program is probably a plus.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

the only time your pump should fail is if you regularly have less than 1/4 tank of gas.

This is a persistent myth ... persistent but untrue. An in-tank pump is cooled (and lubricated) by the fuel flowing through it, not by the fuel surrounding it. It has been this way since at least the 1980s. See attachment.

Generic_In-Tank_Electric_Fuel_Pump.jpg.f4fc483905ac4302fa3fb2bc1349b349.jpg

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png