LegacyGT.com

Thermal Zero turbo blanket. Anybody use one?

That looks like the fairly standard pattern for a turbo blanket.

I have a PTP variant of that pattern, and it seem to fit fine.

Granted, I use the blanket, stock heatshield, and SPT heat shield as a triple layer :lol:

Why do you say it doesn't look like it'll fit very well?

I custom cut my stock one to fit and then changed the turbo....the shop took it off and told me that they don't run them because they cause housings to crack from the heat. Didn't know what to think about that..... what do I know.

They don't run blankets or they don't run stock heat shields?

My shop (Agile Automotive) tried the same. I pointed out Thermal dynamics and efficiency. Most shops want to err on the side of caution. Business is tricky

Currently running a full blanket on my 7163, you NEED the blanket. Period. I am running fmic as well, there is a difference.

Turbo heats up to ~1800 degrees F. The blanket retains the heat to keep turbo at optimal temperature. After engine off, oil /water is no longer circulating to keep components cool. So components have, on average, higher wear for time. Shops usually give a warranty for work. Reducing number of customer complaints is in shop's best interest. Hence shop saying blankets are bad.

Every race car has one. Race engine are rebuilt very often. 1000 miles is alot. ymmv